A miniaturized half-mode substrate-integrated-waveguide (HMSIW) based bandpass filter with defected ground surface (DGS) for sub-5G applications is presented in this research. The novelty in this article is the proposal of an original configuration of an SIW Filter composed of a mix of DGS cells; each couple of C shapes is etched exactly beneath of two cross shapes, which give us long rejection. We have used six periodic cross-shaped slots as DGS in top of the cavity plane for disturbing the current and creating stopband rejection, and we have also used three couples of C-shaped DGS cells in the bottom plane to improve the performances of the proposed filter. This novel bandpass filter is developed on a 1.54 mm-thick FR-4 (with relative permittivity of 4.3 and the tangent loss of 0.025) operating in the band ranging from 3.4 GHz to 3.8 GHz with a bandwidth of 400 MHz and having the size of 13.5 × 38.6 mm2. The proposed HMSIW-based filter is simulated, fabricated, and measured. The measurement results are in decent agreement with the simulation results.
2. Rabah, M. A., M. Abri, H. Badaoui, J. Tao, and T. H. Vuong, "Compact miniaturized half-mode waveguide/high pass filter design based on SIW technology screens transmit," IEEE C-Band Signals. Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 2, 414-418, Feb. 2016.
3. Cherif, N., M. Abri, F. Benzerga, H. Badaoui, J. Tao, T.-H. Vuong, and S. Ahmad, "Broadband SIW traveling wave antenna array for terahertz applications," Advances in Terahertz Technology and Its Applications, S. Das, N. Anveshkumar, J. Dutta, A. Biswas (eds), 211-219, Springer, Singapore, Oct. 2021.
4. Agrawal, T. and S. Srivastava, "Ku band pattern reconfigurable substrate integrated waveguide leaky wave horn antenna," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 87, 70-75, Apr. 2018.
5. Cherif, N., M. Abri, B. Fellah, H. Badaoui, and J. Tao, "A compact wideband DGS bandpass filter based on half mode substrate integrated waveguide technology," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 16, No. 2, 142-147, Mar. 2021.
6. Muchhal, N. and S. Srivastava, "Design of wideband comb shape substrate integrated waveguide multimode resonator bandpass filter with high selectivity and improved upper stopband performance," WILEY International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, 1-9, Apr. 2019.
7. Fellah, B. and M. Abri, "Design of antipodal linearly tapered slot antennas (ALTSA) arrays in SIW technology for UWB imaging,".
8. Khandelwal, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "Defected ground structure: Fundamentals, analysis, and applications in modern wireless trends," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, No. 1, 1-22, 2017.
9. Fellah, B., N. Cherif, M. Abri, and H. Badaoui, "CSRR-DGS bandpass filter based on half mode substrate integrated waveguide for X-band applications," AEM, Vol. 10, No. 3, 39-42, Nov. 2021.
10. Yan, L., W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations on the propagation characteristics of the substrate integrated waveguide based on the method of lines," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 1, 35-42, 2005.
11. Nanang, I., T. S. Gunawan, K. S. Santi, P. Teguh, and A. Z. H. Eki, "Design of microstrip hairpin bandpass filter for 2.9 GHz-3.1 GHz S-band radar with defected ground structure," Malaysian Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, Vol. 14, No. 4, 448-455, 2020.
12. Shaman, H., "New S-band bandpass filter (BPF) with wideband passband for wireless communication systems," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 5, 242-244, 2012.
13. Weng, M. H., C. Y. Tsai, D. L. Chen, Y. C. Chung, and R. Y. Yang, "A bandpass filter using half mode SIW structure with step impedance resonator," MDPI Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1-8, 2020.
14. Juan de Dios, R., L. M. V. Felix, A. M. Alejandro, and H. Juan, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) with koch fractal electromagnetic bandgap structures (KFEBG) for bandpass filter design," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 3, 160-162, Mar. 2015.