In this article, two compact Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) bandpass filters based on Defected Ground Structure (DGS) technology are proposed. Hilbert Cell of second orderis the resonator shape proposed for the DGS of both filters, where the first filter DGS consists of five pairs, and the second one uses only three pairs. The pair used in the first filter consists of two cells located side to side whereas they are placed face to face in the second filter. In order to enhance the performance of the second filter and based on the evanescent-mode technique, three other pairs of first order Hilbert cells are engraved on the top layer. Both band-pass filters are designed to operate in C band with a measured bandwidth of 1.8 GHz for the first filter and 0.86 GHz for the second one. The proposed structures have the same physical dimensions, which is 38.1 mm×16 mm with different measured insertion losses of -2.5 dB and -2.7 dB. Both structures exhibit an upper stopband rejection with attenuation around -20 dB and -29 dB, respectively. The filters operate in a transmission bandwidth of [5.5 GHz-7.3 GHz] and [5.27 GHz-6.13 GHz] with a fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 28.1% and 15.09% for the first filter and the second filter respectively. A good agreement is reported between the measured and simulated results.
2. Rayas-Sanchez, J. E. and V. Gutierrez-Ayala, "A general EM-based design procedure for single-layer substrate integrated waveguide interconnects with microstrip transitions," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MWSYM 2008), 983-986, Atlanta, GA, USA, Jun. 2008.
3. Sahu, A., V. K. Devabhaktuni, R. K. Mishra, and P. H. Aaen, "Recent advances in theory and applications of substrate-integrated waveguides: A review," Int. J RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 26, No. 2, 129-145, Oct. 2015.
4. Yan, D., X. Zeng, and K. Zhang, "HDGS bandsyop filter design by FGA," IEEE Youth Conference on Information, Computing and Telecommunications (YCICT 2010), 5-8, Beijing, China, Nov. 2010.
5. Sagan, H., Space-filling Curves, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1994.
6. Zhu, J., A. Hoorfar, and N. Engheta, "Bandwidth, cross-polarization, and feed-point characteristics of matched Hilbert antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2-5, 2003.
7. Vinoy, K. J., K. A. Jose, V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, "Hilbert curve fractal antenna: A small resonant antenna for VHF/UHF applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 4, 215-219, May 2001.
8. Zemlyakov, K. N. and V. Crnojević-Bengin, "Electronically tunable fractal microstrip resonatorsand filters," The 10th International Conference on Telecommunication in Modern Satellite Cable and Broadcasting Services (TELSIKS 2011), 525-528, Nis, Serbia, Oct. 5-8, 2011.
9. Ghosh, B., D.-H. Yang, J.-C. Cheng, and J. S. Fu, "Bandpass characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide loaded with Hilbert curve fractal slot," IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics, Applications and Student Innovation (IWEM 2011), 89-93, Taipei, Taiwan, 2011.
10. Fellah, B., N. Cherif, M. Abri, and H. Badaoui, "CSRR-DGS bandpass filter based on half mode substrate integrated waveguide for X-band applications," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 10, No. 3, 39-42, Nov. 2021.
11. Noura, A., M. Benaissa, M. Abri, H. Badaoui, T. Vuong, and J. Tao, "Miniaturized half-mode SIW band-pass filter design integrating dumbbell DGS cells," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, 1473-1477, 2019.
12. Nouri, K., K. Haddadi, O. Benzam, T. Lasri, and M. Feham, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) inductive window band-pass filter based on post-wall irises," Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 53, No. 3, 2011.
13. Kordiboroujeni, Z. and J. Bornemann, "New wideband transition from microstrip line to substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 12, 2983-2989, Nov. 20, 2014.
14. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, Jun. 2011.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, Amherst, MA, 1998.
16. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Design consideration and performance analysis of substrate integrated waveguide components," The 32nd European Microwave Conference (EUMA 2002), 881-884, Milan, Italy, Oct. 4-6, 2002.
17. Cassivi, Y., L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 333-335, Sep. 2002.
18. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, Jan. 2005.
19. Chen, J., Z.-B. Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007.
20. Mahant, K. and H. Mewada, "Substrate integrated waveguide based dual-band bandpass filter using split ring resonator and defected ground structure for SFCW Radar applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 28, No. 9, Oct. 2018.
21. Ahn, D., J.-S. Park, C.-S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, Jan. 2001.
22. Dong, Y. D., T. Yang, and T. Itoh, "Substrate integrated waveguide loaded by complementary split ring resonators and its application to miniaturized waveguide filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2211-2223, Sep. 2009.
23. De Dios Ruiz, J., F. L. Martínez-Viviente, A. Alvarez-Melcon, and J. Hinojosa, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) with Koch fractal electromagnetic bandgap structures (KFEBG) for bandpass filter design," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 3, 160-162, Mar. 2015.
24. Wong, S.-W., R.-S. Chen, J.-Y. Lin, L. Zhu, and Q.-X. Chu, "Substrate integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filter using slot-coupled and microstrip-line cross-coupled structures," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 6, No. 12, 1881-1888, Dec. 2016.
25. Moitra, S. and P. S. Bhowmik, "Analyse of combined DSRR and EBG structure over SIW and HMSIW for obtaining band pass response," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 111, No. 2, 1207-1218, 2019.
26. Liu, C. and X. An, "A SlW-DGS wideband band-pass filter with a shape roll-off at upper stop band," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 789-792, 2017.
27. Jin, J.-D. and D.-H. Yu, "Substrate integrated waveguide band-pass filter with coupled complementary split ring resonators," General Assembly and Scientic Symposium, IEEE, 1-4, 2014.