The discrete complex image method stands as one of the most efficient techniques that is able to represent the Green's functions of multilayered structures accurately in the near- and intermediate-field regions. In order to extend the validity of the method to the far region, the surface waves are extracted. Although the extraction process yields accurate results in the intermediate and far-field regions, erroneous results are observed in the near-field region. In this paper, this problem is treated by extracting the contribution of an additional number of artificial poles. Using this scheme, the discrete complex image method can provide accurate representation of Green's functions in both the near- and far-field regions.
1. Michalski, K. A. and D. Zheng, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation by surfaces of arbitrary shape in layered media, Part I: Theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, 335-344, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.52240
2. Michalski, K. A., "Formulation of mixed-potential integral equations for arbitrarily shaped microstrip structures with uniaxial substrates," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 7, 799-817, 1993. doi:10.1163/156939393X00101
3. Oijala, P. Y., M. Taskinen, and J. Sarvas, "Multilayered media Green's functions for MPIE with general electric and magnetic sources by the Hertz potential approach," Prog. in Electromag. Res., Vol. 33, 141-165, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00120802
4. Mosig, J. R., "Integral equation technique," Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Passive Structures, T. Itoh (ed.), 133-213, Wiley, New York, 1989.
5. Fang, D. G., J. J. Yang, and G. Y. Delisle, "Discrete image theory for horizontal electric dipoles in a multilayered medium," IEE Proc., Pt. H, Vol. 135, 297-303, 1988.
6. Yang, J. J., Y. L. Chow, and D. G. Fang, "Discrete complex images of a three-dimensional dipole above and within a lossy ground," IEE Proc., Pt. H, Vol. 138, 319-326, 1991.
7. Chow, Y. L., J. J. Yang, D. G. Fang, and G. E. Howard, "A closed-form spatial Green's function for the thick microstrip substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, 588-592, 1991. doi:10.1109/22.75309
8. Marple, S. L., Digital Spectral Analysis with Applications, Ch. 11, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersy, 1987.
9. Hua, Y. and T. K. Sarkar, "Generalized pencil-of-function method for extracting poles of an EM system from its transient response," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, 229-234, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.18710
10. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Ch. 2, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
11. Hojjat, N., S. Safavi-Naeini, and Y. L. Chow, "Numerical computation of complex image Green's functions for multilayer dielectric media: Near-field zone and the interface region," IEE Proc. Microwaves, Antennas and Pr opagat., Vol. 145, 449-454, 1998. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19982255
12. Ling, F. and J. M. Jin, "Discrete complex image method for Green's functions of general multilayer media," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 10, 400-402, 2000. doi:10.1109/75.877225
13. Abdelmageed, A. K. and A. Mohsen, "An accurate computation of Green's functions for multilayered media in the near-field region," Microwave & Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 29, 130-131, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1106
14. Teo, S. A., S. T. Chew, and M. S. Leong, "Error analysis of the discrete complex image method and pole extraction," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 406-413, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807834
15. Michalski, K. A., "On the scalar potential of a point charge associated with a time-harmonic dipole in a layered medium," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, 1299-1301, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144022
16. Boix, R. R., F. Mesa, and F. Medina, "Application of total least squares to the derivation of closed-form Green's functions for planar layered media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, 268-280, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.889336
17. Abramowitz, M. and I. Stegun (eds.), Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Ch. 9, Dover, New York, 1970.