The third generation promises increased bandwidth up to 384 Kbits/s for wide area coverage up to 2Mbits/s for local area coverage. A smart antenna technique has been developed specifically to meet the bandwidth needs of 3G [5, 7, 12, 14]. Smart beamforming provides increased data throughput for mobile high speed data application. Here in this paper we worked on MVDR Beamforming scheme for continuing demand for increased bandwidth & better quality of services. Adaptive minimum variance beamforming can be easily implemented to increase capacity as well as suppressing co-channel interference & to enhance the immunity to fading. The computer simulation carried out in MATLAB platform shows the signal processing technique optimally combines the components in such a way that it maximizes array gain in the desired direction simultaneously minimize it in the direction of interference [1, 3, 15, 16].
2. Suard, B., A. F. Naguib, G. Xu, and A. Paulraj, "Performance of CDMA mobile communication systems using antenna arrays," IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 153-156, Minneapolis, MN, 1993.
3. Gebauer, T. and H. G. Gockler, "Channel-individual adaptive beamforming for mobile satellite communications," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 13, 439-448, 1995.
4. Chen, C.-H., C.-L. Liu, C.-C. Chiu, and T.-M. Hu, "Ultra-wide band channel calculation by SBR/image techniques for indoor communication," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 1, 41-51, 2006.
5. Fakoukakis, F. E., S. G. Diamantis, A. P. Orfanides, and G. A. Kyriacou, "Development of an adaptive and a switched beam smart antenna system for wireless communications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 3, 399-408, 2006.
6. Babayigit, B., A. Akdagli, and Kerim Guney, "A clonal selection algorithm for null synthesizing of linear antenna arrays by amplitude control," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 8, 1007-1020, 2006.
7. Vescovo, R., "Beam scanning with null and excitation constraints for linear arrays of antennas," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 2, 267-277, 2007.
8. Noori, N. and H. Oraizi, "Evaluation of MIMO channel capacity in indoor environments using vector parabolic equation method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 13-25, 2008.
9. Koo, B.-W., M.-S. Baek, and H.-K. Song, "Multiple antenna transmissiontechnique for UWB system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 177-185, 2008.
10. Fallahi, R. and M. Roshandel, "Effect of mutual coupling and configuration of concentric circular array antenna on the signalto-interference performance in CDMA systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 427-447, 2007.
11. Mahmoud, K. R., M. El-Adawy, S. M. M. Ibrahem, R. Bansal, and S. H. Zainud-Deen, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antenna systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007.
12. Gozasht, F., G. Dadashzadeh, and S. Nikmhr, "A comprehensive performance study of circular and hexagonal array geometreis in the LMS algorithem for smart antenna applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 281-296, 2007.
13. Mukhopadhyay, M., B. K. Sarkar, and A. Chakrabarty, "Augmentation of anti-jam GPS system using smart antenna with a simple DOA estimation algorithm ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 231-249, 2007.
14. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
15. Varlamos, P. K. and C. N. Capsalis, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic smart antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 101-119, 2002.
16. Sanyal, S. K., Q. M. Alfred, and T. Chakravarty, "A novel beamswitching algorithm for programmable phased array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 187-196, 2006.