An open resonance cell (ORC) with finite-length cylindrical mirrors is suggested for making absolute measurements of complex permittivity in the case of stretched cylindrical specimens or liquid dielectrics in cylindrical containers. For H-polarization, we report ORC features simulated in rigorous electromagnetic terms using a twodimensional (2-D) model of an open resonator with cylindrical mirrors and a dielectric test rod inserted. On this basis, the ORC laboratory prototype with finite-length mirrors was built. The measurements of dielectric test rods were performed in the 10 mm wave band. In the studies of dielectric materials, E-polarized modes of the cylindricalmirror ORC demonstrate some specific features, which are discussed, too
2. Krupka, J., et al., "Use of whispering-gallery modes for complex permittivity determinations of ultra-low-losses dielectric materials," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 47, No. 6, 752-759, 1999.
3. Vlasov, S. N., E. V. Koposova, S. E. Myasnikova, and V. V. Parshin, "Open resonators for low dielectric loss measurements," Technical Physics, Vol. 47, No. 12, 1561-1569, 2002.
4. Cullen, A. L., "Millimeter-wave open-resonator techniques," Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 10, 233-281, 1983.
5. Poyedinchuk, A. Y., "On spectral theory of open two-dimensional resonators with dielectric inclusions," Doklady AN UkrSSR, Vol. A, No. 1, 66-70, 1984 (in Russian).
6. Brovenko, A. V., P. N. Melezhik, and A. E. Poedinchuk, "Spectral characteristics of an open cavity with a metal-dielectric inhomogeneity," Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 41, No. 10, 908-915, 1998.
7. Kovalenko, A. G., V. N. Koshparenok, Yu. V. Maystrenko, P. N. Melezhik, A. E. Poedinchuk, and V. P. Shestopalov, "A parameter control method for cylindrically shaped dielectrics,", Patent SU 1589220 A1, bulletin no. 32, published on 30. 08. 1990 (in Russian).
8. Koshparenok, V. N., P. N. Melezhik, A. E. Poedinchuk, and V. P. Shestopalov, "Method for increasing the Q of an open resonator," Soviet Physics --- Technical Physics, Vol. 30, No. 6, 682-683, 1985.
9. Melezhik, P. N., V. S. Miroshnichenko, and Y. B. Senkevich, "Open resonators with conducting cylindrical inserts. 1. Twodimensional model," Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 48, No. 7, 529-536, 2005.
10. Miroshnichenko, V. S., P. N. Melezhik, and Ye. B. Senkevich, "Investigation of the resonance field structure in an open resonator by the probe method: Theory and experiment ," Technical Physics, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1076-1083, 2006.
11. Brovenko, A. V., V. S. Miroshnichenko, P. N. Melezhik, and Y. B. Senkevich, "Open resonant cell for measurement of materials permittivity and permeability ," Microwave and Telecommunication Technology, 2006. CriMiCo'06. 16th International Crimean Conference, Vol. 2, 752-753, 2006.
12. Melezhik, P. N., V. S. Miroshnichenko, and Y. B. Senkevich, "Open resonators with conducting cylindrical inserts. 2. Resonators with finite-length mirrors ," Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 48, No. 8, 607-613, 2005.
13. Lamb, J. W., "Miscellaneous data on materials for millimetre and submillimetre optics," Int. J. of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 17, No. 12, 1997-2034, 1996.
14. Miroshnichenko, V. S. and Y. B. Senkevich, "Experimental determination of equivalent circuit parameters of an open resonator coupled to transmission lines," Telecommunications and Radio Engineering, Vol. 60, No. 1--2, 45-60, 2003.