Simulation and realization of an active metamateial cell are presented. This metamaterial cell has a power loss due to resistance in the coils. This paper presents a new nanometer negative resistance MOSFET (NR-MOSFET), which is used as a controllable negative resistance to compensate for the nanometer metamaterial losses. The negative resistance was about -320Ω. A form of a lumped circuit model with active and passive resonance is presented. A negative real part of the refractive index exists in a band width from 1.11 GHz to 1.22 GHz. This model can be used as a core cell for mobile communication smart antenna.
2. Lagarkov, A. N., V. N. Kisel, and V. N. Semenenko, "Wide-angle absorption by the use of a metamaterial plate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 35-44, 2008.
3. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "On the study of left-handed coplanar waveguide coupler on ferrite substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Letters, Vol. 1, 69-75, 2008.
4. Suyama, T., Y. Okuno, and T. Matsuda, "Plasmon resonance-absorption in a metal grating and its application for refractive-index measurement," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 185-169, 2006.
5. Grzegorezyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2035-2064, 2006.
6. Ramakrishna, S. A. and J. B. Pendry, "Removal of absorption and increase in resolution in a near-field lens via optical gain," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 67, No. 20, 201101, 2003.
7. Noginov, M. A., G. Zhu, M. Bahoura, J. Adegoke, C. E. Small, B. A. Ritzo, V. P. Drachev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Enhancement of surface plasmons in an Ag aggregate by optical gain in a dielectric medium ," Opt. Lett., Vol. 31, 3022, 2006.
8. Popov, A. K. and V. M. Shalaev, "Compensating losses in negative-index metamaterials by optical parametric amplification," Opt. Lett., Vol. 31, 2169, 2006.
9. Shalaev, V. M., "Optical negative-index metamaterials," Nat. Photonics, Vol. 1, 41-48, 2007.
10. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006.
11. Guo, Y. and R. Xu, "Ultra-wideband power splitting/combining technique using zero-degree left-handed transmission lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1109-1118, 2007.
12. Wang, M. Y. and J. Xu, "FDTD study on scattering of metallic column covered by double-negative metamaterial," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1905-1914, 2007.
13. Shelby, R. A. , N. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 229, 77-79, 2001.
14. Engheta, N., "An idea for thin sub wavelength cavity resonators using metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, No. 1, 10-13, 2002.
15. Abdalla, M., "ET alga differential 0.13 μm CMOS active inductor for high-frequency shifters," IEEE ISCAS 2006, 3341-3344, 2006.
16. Vainikainen, P., et al., "Advances in diversity performance analysis of mobile terminal antennas," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation ISAP, 649-652, Sendai, Japan, Aug. 2004.
17. El-Hennawy, A., E. Al-Mazuki, and S. A. L. Ghamdi, "Modeling and characterization of a new negative resistance NR-MOSFET for VLSI application.ICM 91," Proc. the International Conference Micro. Electronics, Cairo, Egypt, Dec.1991.
18. Chua, L., J. Yu, and Y.-Y. Yu, "Bipolar-JFET-MOSFET negative resistance devices," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 32, No. 1, 46-61, Jan.1985.
19. Ramadan, A., A. El-Hennawe, K. Hassan, and A. A. Elnour, "Study and characterization of a new MOSFET voltage controlled negative resistance for super selective IC tank circuits," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 86, No. 3, 311-319, 1999.
20. Ciais, P., R. Taraj, G. Kossiavas, and C. Luxey, "Design of an internal quad-band antenna for mobile phones," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 4, 148-150, 2004.