This paper presents a hexagonal shape defected ground structure (DGS) implemented on two element triangular patch microstrip antenna array. The radiation performance of the antenna is characterized by varying the geometry and dimension of the DGS and also by locating the DGS at specific position which are found experimentally. Simulation and experimental results have verified that antenna with DGS had improved the antenna without DGS. Measurement results of the hexagonal DGS have axial ratio bandwidth enhancement of 10 MHz, return loss improvement of 35%, mutual coupling reduction of 3 dB and gain enhancement of 1 dB.
2. Guha, D., M. Biswas, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for cross polarization suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 455-458, 2005.
3. Liu, H., Z. Li, X. Sun, and J. Mao, "Harmonic suppression with photonic bandgap and defected ground structure for a microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Compenents Lett., Vol. 15, No. 2, 55-56, Feb. 2005.
4. Chung, Y., S. Jeon, D. Ahn, J. Choi, and T. Itoh, "High isolation dual polarized patch antenna using integrated defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Component Lett., Vol. 14, No. 1, 4-6, Jan. 2004.
5. Yu, A. and X. Zhang, "A novel method to improve the performance of microstrip antenna arrays using dumbbell EBG structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 2, 2003.
6. Yang, L., Z. Feng, F. Chen, and M. Fan, "A novel compact EBG structure and its application in microstrip antenna arrays," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1635-1638, 2004.
7. Salehi, M., A. Motevasselian, A. Tavakoli, and T. Heidari, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antennas using defected ground structure," 10th IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems (ICCS), 1-5, Oct. 2006.
8. Zainud-Deen, S. H., M. F. Badr, E. El-Deen, K. H. Awadalla, and H. A. Sharshar, "Microstrip antenna with defected ground plane structure as a sensor for landmines detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 27-39, 2008.
9. Rahardjo, E. T., F. Y. Zulkifli, and M. Martin, "Design of circularly polarized equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna array for satellite communication," Proc. of Internat. Symp. on Antennas and Propagat. (ISAP), Niigata, Japan, Aug. 2007.