This paper mainly deals with the optical properties of biological tissues that are measured using laser reflectometry method. The result is compared with the phantom and simulation values to get accurate result. The surface Backscattering was determined by laser reflectometry. The tissue equivalent phantom would be prepared with the help of white paraffin wax mixed with various colour pigments in multiple proportions. A familiar Monte Carlo Simulation is used for the analysis of the optical properties of the tissue. The normalized backscattered intensity (NBI) signals from the tissue surface, measured by the output probes after digitization are used to reconstruct the reflectance images of tissues in various layers below the skin surface. This method was useful to trace the abnormal in the tissue.
2. Anderson, R. R. and J. A. Parrish, "The optics of human skin," J. Invest. Dermotol., Vol. 77, 13-19, 1981.
3. Van Gemert, T. M. J., S. L. Jacques, and H. J. C. Sterenborg, "Skin optics," IEEE Trans. on Biomed. Eng., Vol. 36, 1146-1154, 1989.
4. Schmitt, J. M., G. X. Zhou, and E. C. Walker, "Multilayer model of photon diffusion in skin," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. A7, 2141-2153, 1990.
5. Hintz, S. R., D. A. Benaron, J. P. Vanhouten, J. L. Duckworth, H. S. Lic, D. K. Stevenson, and W. F. Cheong, "Stationary head band for clinical time of flight optical imaging at the bedside," Photochem. Photobiol., Vol. 68, 361-369, 1998.
6. Fantini, S., S. A. Walker, M. A. Franceschini, M. Kaschke, P. M. Schlag, and K. T. Moesta, "Assessment of the size, position and optical properties of breast tumors in viva by noninvasive optical methods," Appl. Opt., Vol. 37, 1982-1989, 1998.
7. Hillmann, E. M. C., J. C. Hebden, M. Schweiger, H. Dehghani, F. E. W. Sehimdt, D. T. Delpy, and S. A. Arridge, "Time resolved optical tomography of the human forearm," Phys. Med. Boi., Vol. 46, 1117-1130, 2001.
8. Li, H., Y. Song, K. L. Worden, X. Jiang, A. Constantinescu, and R. P. Mason, "Non-invasive investigation for blood oxygenation dynamics of tumors by near-infrared spectroscopy," Appl. Opt., Vol. 39, 5231-5243, 2000.
9. Hampel, U., E. Scheicher, H. Zepnick, and R. Freyer, "Clinical NIR spectroscopy and optical tomography of testis," Proc. SPIE2001, Vol. 4432, 210-220, 2001.
10. Jiao, S., G. Yao, and L. V. Wang, "Depth resolved two-dimensional stoke vectors of backscattered light and Mulller matrices of biological tissue measured with optical coherence tomography," Appl. Opt., Vol. 39, 6318-6324, 2000.
11. Chacko, S. and M. Singh, "3-D reconstruction of transillumination tomographic images of human breast phantoms by red and infrared lasers," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 47, 131-135, 2000.
12. Cubeddu, R., A. Pifferi, P. Taroni, A. Torricerlli, and G. Valentinil, "Imaging with diffusing light: An experimental study on the effect of the background optical properties," Appl. Opt., Vol. 37, 3564-3573, 1998.
13. Schmitt, J. M., G. X. Zhou, and E. C.Walkker, "Multilayer model of photon diffusion in skin," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, Vol. 7, 2141-2153, 1990.
14. Colak, S. B., M. B. Van Mark, G. W. Hooft, J. H. Hoogenraad, E. S. Van der Linden, and F. A. Kuijpers, "Clinical optical tomography and NIR spectroscopy for breast cancer detection," IEEE J. Select Topics Quantum Electron., Vol. 5, 143-1158, 1999.
15. Chacko, S. and M. Singh, "Multi-layer imaging of human organs by measurement of laser back-scattering radiation," Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., Vol. 37, 278-284, 1999.
16. Colak, S. B., M. B. Van Mark, G. W. Hoof, J. H. Hoogenraad, E. S. Van der Linden, and F. A. Kuijpers, "Clinical optical tomography and NIR spectroscopy for breast cancer detection," IEEE J. Select Topics Quantum Electron., Vol. 5, 1143-1158, 1999.
17. Cubeddu, R., A. Pifferi, P. Taroni, A. Torricelli, and G. A. Valentini, "Solid tissue phantom for photon migration studies," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 42, 1971-1979, 1997.
18. Dehghani, H. and D. T. Delpy, "Near infrared spectroscopy of adult head. Effect of scattering and absorbing obstructions in the cerebro spinal fluid layer on light on light distribution in the tissue," Appl. Op., Vol. 39, 4721-4729, 2000.
19. Flock, S. T., M. S. Patterson, B. C. Wilson, and D. R. Wyman, "Monte Carlo modeling of light propagation in highly scattering tissue --- I: Model predictions and comparison with diffusion theory," IEEE Trans. Biomed., Vol. 36, 1162-1168, 1989.
20. Grosenick, D., H. Wabnitz, H. Hrinneberg, and K. T. Oesta, "Development of a time-domain optical mannography and first invivo applications ," Appl. Opt., Vol. 38, 2927-2943, 1999.
21. Van Stavren, H. J., C. J. M. Moses, J. Van Maries, S. A. Prahl, and M. J. C. Van, "Light scattering in intra lipid 10% in the wavelength range of 400-1100 nm," Appl. Opt., Vol. 30, 4507-4514, 1991.
22. Farrell, T. J., M. S. Patterson, and M. Essenpresis, "Influence of layered tissue architecture on estimates of tissue optical properties obtained from spatially resolved diffuse reflectometry ," Appl. Opt., Vol. 37, 1958-1972, 1998.
23. Chinn, S. R., E. A. Swanson, and J. G. Fujimoto, "Optical coherencetomography using a frequency tunable optical source," Opt. Lett., Vol. 22, 340-342, 1997.
24. Pougue, B. W., et al., "Three dimensional simulation of near infrared diffusion in tissue: Boundary condition and geometry analysis for finite-element image reconstruction," Appl. Optics, Vol. 40, 588-599, 2001.
25. Mitic, G., J. Kober, J. Otto, E. Piles, E. Solkner, and W. Zinth, "Time gated transillumination of biological tissues and tissue like phantoms ," Appl. Opt., Vol. 33, 6699-6709, 1994.
26. Anderson-Engles, S., R. Berg, S. Svanberg, and O. Jarlman, "Time resolved transillumination for medical diagnostics," Opt. Lett., Vol. 15, 1179-1181, 1990.
27. Torricelli, A., A. Pifferi, P. Taroni, E. Giambattistelli, and R. Cubeddu, "Invivo optical characterization of human tissues from 610 to 1010 nm by time resolved reflectance spectroscopy," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 46, 2227-2237, 2001.
28. Arridge, S. R., Z. P. Vander, D. T. Delpy, and M. Cope, "Reconstruction methods of infra-red absorption imaging," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 1431, 204-215, 1991.
29. Shanthi, S. and M. Singh, "Laser reflectance imaging of human organs and comparison with perfusion images," Med. Biol.Eng. Comput., Vol. 35, 253-258, 1997.