The electromagnetic field produced by a horizontal electric dipole over a double negative (DNG) medium half space is discussed, and the analytical expressions of the field which are convenient for calculation are derived. It can be concluded that the dipole on the configuration composed of the double positive (DPS) medium and the DNG medium half space can effectively excite the surface wave. The propagation wave number of the surface wave is less than that in both of the mediums, so that this kind of surface wave is a slow wave. Considered both the mediums are lossless, the amplitude of the surface wave decreases with the radial distance as ρ1/2. The total field shows complicated interference because of the superposition of three kinds of wave modes.
2. Shelby, A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001.
3. Simovski, C. R. and B. Sauviac, "Toward creating isotropic microwave composites with negative refraction," Radio Sci., Vol. 39, No. 2, Rs2014.1-Rs2014.18, 2004.
4. Caloz, C., A. Sanada, and T. Itoh, "Microwave applications of transmission line based negative refraction index structures," 2003 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2003.
5. Grbic, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Subwavelength focusing using a negative-refractive-index transmission line lens," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 186-189, 2003.
6. Baccarelli, P., P. Burghignoli, and S. Paulotto, "Surfacewave suppression in a double-negative metamaterial grounded slab," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 269-272, 2003.
7. Thomas, J. R. and A. Ishimaru, "Wave packet incident on negative-index media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 1591-1599, 2005.
8. Ishimaru, A., J. R. Thomas, and S. Jaruwatanadilok, "Electromagnetic waves over half-space metamaterials of arbitrary permittivity and permeability ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 915-921, 2005.
9. Sommerfeld, A., "Propagation of waves in wireless telgraphy," Ann. Phys., Vol. 28, 665-736, 1909.
10. Sommerfeld, A., "Propagation of waves in wireless telgraphy," Ann. Phys., Vol. 81, 1135-1153, 1926.
11. Wait, J. R., Electromagnetic Wave in Stratified Media, Pergamon Press, London, 1962.
12. Banos, A. J., Dipole Radiation in the Presence of a Conducting Half-space, Pergamon press, Oxford, 1966.
13. King, R. W. P., "New formulas for the electromagnetic field of a vertical electric dipole in a dielectric or conducting half-space near its horizontal interface," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 53, 8476-8482, Dec. 1982.
14. Wu, T. T., King, and R. W. P., "Lateral waves: A new formula and interference pattern," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, No. 3, 521-531, 1982.
15. Wu, T. T. and R. W. P. King, "Lateral waves: New formulas for E1φ and E1z," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, No. 3, 532-538, 1982.
16. King, R.W. P. and T. T. Wu, "Lateral waves: New formulas for the magnetic field," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 54, No. 2, 507-514, 1983.
17. King, R. W. P. and M. F. Brown, "Lateral electromagnetic waves along plane boundaries: A summarizing approach," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 72, No. 5, 595-611, 1984.
18. King, R. W. P., "Electromagnetic surface waves: New formulas and applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 33, No. 11, 1204-1212, 1985.
19. King, R. W. P., O. Margaret, and T. T. Wu, Lateral Electromagnetic Wave, Springer-verlag Press, 1992.
20. Wu, T. T. and R. W. P. King, "Lateral electromagnetic pulses generated by a vertical electric dipole on the boundary between two dielectric," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 62, 4345-4355, Dec. 1987.
21. King, R. W. P., "Lateral electromagnetic pulses generated by a vertical electric dipole on a plane boundary between dielectric ," J. Electro. Waves Appl., Vol. 2, No. 3-4, 225-243, 1988.
22. King, R. W. P., "Lateral electromagnetic pulses generated on a plane boundary between dielectrics by vertical and horizontal dipole source with Gaussian pulse excitation," J. Electro. Waves Appl., Vol. 2, 589-597, 1989.
23. Li, K., Y. L. Lu, and M. H. Li, "Approximate formulas for lateral electromagnetic pulses from a horizontal dipole on the surface of one-dimensionally anisotropic medium," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 933-937, 2005.
24. Zhu, X. Q., W. Y. Pan, and B. R. Guan, "The electromagnetic field produced by a vertical electric dipole on a negative-index media half space ," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 21, No. 2, 177-183, 2006.