A new method for analyzing the RCS of array antennas is presented in this paper. In the proposed method, the total RCS of the array can be simply decomposed to array RCS factor and element RCS factor. By this decomposition, the effects of the array distribution and antenna elements on scattering can be clearly exhibited. Thus, the analyzing of scattering characteristic of array antennas becomes easier. Moreover, proposed method has good compatibility for calculating the RCS of the array antennas with the same array distribution for different element.
1. Montgomery, C. G., R. H. Dicke, and E. M. Purcell, Principles of Microwave Circuits, Vol. 8, 317, MIT Radiation Lab. Ser., McGraw-Hill, 1948.
2. Hu, Y. Y., "Back-scattering cross section of a center-loaded antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 1, 140, Jan. 1958. doi:10.1109/TAP.1958.1144540
3. King, D. D., "The measurement and interpretation of antenna scattering," Proc. of the IRE, Vol. 37, No. 7, 770-777, Jul. 1949. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1949.234299
4. Midgley, D., "A theory of receiving aerials applied to the reradation of an electromagnetic horn," Proc. of the IRE, Vol. 108, No. 42, Part B, 1961.
5. Williams, N., "The RCS of antennas --- An appraisal," Military Microwaves Cons. Proc., 505-508, Brighton, U.K., Jun. 1986.
6. Jenn, D. C., J. E. Fletcher, and A. Prata, "Radar cross section of symmetric reflectors with cavity-backed dipole feeds," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 7, 992-994, Jul. 1993. doi:10.1109/8.237635
7. Pozar, D. M., "Radiation and scattering from a microstrip patch on a uniaxial substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, 613-621, Jun. 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144161
8. Newman, E. H. and E. Forrai, "Scattering from a microstrip patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, 245-251, Mar. 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144084
9. Tittensor, P. J. and M. L. Newton, "Prediction of the radar cross section of an array antenna," Sixth Int. Conf. Antennas Propag., 258-262, London, U.K., Apr. 1989.
10. Chu, R.-S., D. C. Jenn, and N. S. Wong, "Scattering from a finite phasedarray of dipoles over a finite ground plane," 1987 IEEE AP-S Inr. Symp. Dig., Vol. 11, 722-726, Jun. 1987.
11. Bartsevich, A. V., Y. Y. Bobkov, A. Al-Rifay, and O. A. Yurtsev, "Multi-element wire antenna array scattering characteristics numerical modeling," International Conference on Antenna Theory and Techniques, 432-434, Sevastopol, Ukraine, Sep. 17-21, 2007.
12. He, W., R. Jin, J. Geng, and G. Yang, "2 × 2 array with UCEBG-EBG ground for low RCS and high gain," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 6, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22440
13. Alves e Ricardo, F. D. P. and R. A. T. Santos, A simplified technique to estimate the monostatic radar cross section of planar array antennas, SBMO/IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference, 2007.
14. Villegas, F. J., Y. Rahmat-Samii, and D. R. Jackson, "Scattering characteristics of finite arrays of cylindrical cavities in an infinite ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 9, Sep. 2003.
15. Xi, Y. P., D. G. Fang, Y. X. Sun, and Y. L. Chow, "Mutual coupling in finite microstrip patch arrays," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 6, Mar. 20, 2005.
16. Lo, Y. T. and S. W. Lee, Antenna Handbook, Vol. 1, Part A, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1988.
17. Yuan, W. W., D. M. Gong, and B. S. Chen, Theory of antenna, XiDian University Publishing Company, Xi'an, 1997.