Electromagnetic fields in a cavity filled with double negative dispersive medium and bounded by a closed perfectly conducting surface is studied in the Time Domain. The sought electromagnetic fields are found in a closed form by using decomposition over cavity modes and solving in TD the differential equations for the time varying mode amplitudes. Some features of frequency response of such an electromagnetic system are presented. Waveforms of electromagnetic fields excited by a wideband pulse are considered.
2. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A positive future for double-negative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1535-1556, 2005.
3. Bozza, G., G. Oliveri, and M. Raffetto, "Anomalous TEM modes in guiding structures filled with double negative and double positive materials," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 19-21, 2007.
4. Marcos, P. and C. M. Soukoulis, "Transmission properties and effective electromagnetic parameters of double negative metamaterials," Optic Express, Vol. 11, No. 7, 649-661, 2003.
5. Vendik, I., O. Vendik, I. Kolmakov, and M. Odit, "Modelling of isotropic double negative media for microwave applications," Opto-Electronics Review, Vol. 14, No. 3, 179-186, 2006.
6. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006.
7. Chen, H., B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006.
8. Engeta, N., "An idea for thin subwavelength cavity resonators using metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 1, 10-12, 2002.
9. Li, Y., L. Ran, H. Chen, J. Huangfu, X. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental realization of a one-dimensional LHM-RHM resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1522-1526, 2005.
10. Hand, T., S. Cummer, and N. Engeta, "The measured electric field spatial distribution within a metamaterial subwavelength cavity resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1781-1788, 2007.
11. Bozza, G., G. Oliveri, and M. Ra®etto, "Cavities involving metamaterials with an uncountable set of resonant frequencies," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 8, 565-567, 2007.
12. Tretyakov, O. A., "The method of modal basis," Radiotechnika i Elektronika, Vol. 31, 1071-1082, 1986.
13. Tretyakov, O. A., "Essentials of nonstationary and nonlinear electromagnetic field theory," Analytical and Numerical Methods in the Electromagnetic Wave Theory, M. Hashimoto, M. Idemen, O. A. Tretyakov (eds.), Science House Co., Ltd., Tokyo, 1993.
14. Tretyakov, O. A. and F. Erden, "Temporal cavity oscillations caused by a wide-band waveform," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 183-204, 2008.
15. Ango, A., Mathematics for Electric and Radio Engineers, Nauka, Moscow, Russian, 1965.