The design, simulation and fabrication of a left-handed metamaterial (LHM) structure is presented. The combination of the modified square rectangular Split Ring Resonator (SRR) and the Capacitance Loaded Strip (CLS) were used to obtain the negative value of permeability, μ and the negative permittivity, ε. Nicolson-Ross-Wier approach was used to identify the double negative region. A good agreement between simulated and measured results has been achieved. Upon incorporation with a single patch microstrip antenna, the performance of the antenna was improved where the gain of the microstrip antenna was increased up to 4 dB, and its bandwidth widens from 2.9% to 4.98%. These improvements are due to the negative refraction characteristics of the LHM structure that acts as a lens when placed in front of the antenna.
2. Aydin, A., G. Kaan, and O. Ekmel, "Two-dimensional left-handed metamaterial with a negative refractive index," Journal of Physics Conference Series, Vol. 36, 6-11, 2006.
3. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Shultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
4. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaniously negative values of permittivity and permeability," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509, 1968.
5. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Loop-wire medium for investigating plasmons at microwave frequency," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184, 2000.
6. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 51, 295-328, 2005.
7. Alici, K. B., F. Bilotti, L. Vegni, and E. Ozbay, "Optimazation and tunability of deep subwavelength resonators for metamaterial application: Complete enhanced transmission through a subwave-length aperture," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, 5933-5943, 2009.
8. Alici, K. B. and E. Ozbay, "Chareacterization and tilted response of a ¯shnet metamaterial operating at 100 GHz," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 41, 135011, 2008.
9. Gil, M., J. Bonache, J. Selga, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "High-pass filters implemented by composite right/left handed (CRLH) transmission lines based on complementary split rings resonators (CSRRs)," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 3, 251-253, 2007.
10. Buell, K., H. Mosallaei, and K. Sarabandi, "A substrate for small patch antennas providing tunable miniaturization factor," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 135, 2006.
11. Alici, K. B. and E. Ozbay, "Electrically small split ring resonator antennas," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 101, 083104, 2007.
12. Alu, A., F. Bilotti, N. Engheta, and L. Vegni, "Subwavelength, compact, resonant patch antennas loaded with metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 13, 2007.
13. Pirhadi, A., F. Keshmiri, M. Hakkak, and M. Tayarani, "Analysis and design of dual band high directivity EBG resonator antenna using square loop FSS as superstrate layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 70, 1-20, 2007.
14. Yoo, K., R. Mitra, and N. Farahat, "A novel technique for enhancing the directivity of microstrip patch antennas using an EBG superstrate," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
15. Erentok, A., P. L. Luljak, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Characterization of a volumetric metamaterial realization of an artificial magnetic conductor for antenna application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 160-172, 2005.
16. Burokur, S. N., M. Latrach, and S. Toutain, "Theoritical investigation of a circular patch antenna in the presence of a left-handed mematerial," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 183-186, 2005.
17. Li, B., B. Wu, and C.-H. Liang, "Study on high gain circular waveguide array antenna with metamaterial structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 60, 207-219, 2006.
18. Wongkasem, N. and A. Akyurtlu, "Group theory based design of isotropic negative refractive index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 63, 295-310, 2006.
19. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley Inter-Science, 2005.
20. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Design, fabrication, and testing of double negative metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1516-1529, 2003.