A new approach of imaging reconstruction of concealed PEC targets in a dielectric closed box, using azimuth multi-angle measurements, is developed. As the broadband stepped-frequency radar transmits planar wave from different azimuth directions around the target, the backscattered electrical fields in both the amplitude and phase are obtained. The two-dimensional fast Fourier transform (2D-FFT) algorithm for spline interpolation is adopted for uniformly sampled backscattering fields. Then, 2D images of a dielectric box with and without the concealed targets can be numerically simulated. Multi-azimuth backscattering electri- cal fields of complex shaped PEC targets and dielectric surrounding walls are calculated by the method of moments (MoM), which is based on the coupled volume-surface integral equation (VSIE). The concealed targets can be well identified from the imaging reconstruction.
2. Yang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "See-through-wall imaging using ultra wideband short-pulse radar system," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 334-337, 2005.
3. Wang, G., Y. Zhang, and M. Amin, "New approach for target locations in the presence of wall ambiguities," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 42, No. 1, 301-315, 2006.
4. Ahmad, F., M. G. Amin, and S. A. Kassam, "Synthetic aperture beamformer for imaging through a dielectric wall," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 41, No. 1, 271-283, 2005.
5. Wang, G. and M. Amin, "Imaging through unknown walls using different standoff distances," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 54, No. 10, 4015-4025, 2006.
6. Amin, M. G., "Radar, signal, and image processing techniques for through the wall imaging," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5819, 33-45, 2005.
7. Ahmad, F., M. G. Amin, and S. A. Kassam, "A beamforming approach to stepped-frequency synthetic aperture through-the-wall radar imaging," Proc. CAMSAP05, Vol. 1, 2005.
8. Yoon, Y. S. and M. G. Amin, "High-resolution through-the-wall radar imaging using beamspace music," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1763-1774, 2008.
9. Dehmollaian, M. and K. Sarabandi, "Refocusing through building walls using synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 6, 1589-1599, 2008.
10. Ferris, Jr., D. and N. Currie, "A survey of current technologies for through-the-wall surveillance (TWS)," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 3577, 62-72, 1998.
11. Chang, P. C., R. J. Burkholder, J. L. Volakis, R. J. Marhefka, and Y. Bayram, "High-frequency EM characterization of through-wall building imaging," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1375-1387, 2009.
12. Mensa, D. L., High Resolution Radar Cross-section Imaging, 139-151, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1991.
13. Nie, X. C., et al., "A fast volume-surface integral equation solver for scattering from composite conducting-dielectric objects," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 818-824, 2005.
14. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982.
15. Schaubert, D. H., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "A tetrahedral modeling method for electromagnetic scattering by arbitrarily shaped inhomogeneous dielectric bodies," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 32, No. 1, 77-85, 1984.