In this paper, a method is proposed to compact waveguide devices at a desired frequency. In this method a previously designed hollow waveguide is filled with several dielectric and ferrite layers alternately so that the characteristic impedance of the waveguide is not changed. First, the permittivity and permeability of a fictitiously mixed material is obtained. Then, the required permittivity and permeability of dielectric and ferrite layers are obtained at desired frequency. The usefulness of the proposed method is verified using some theoretical and simulation examples.
2. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, and M. Sorolla, "1-D and 2-D photonic bandgap microstrip structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 22, No. 6, 411-412, Sep. 1999.
3. Goussetis, G. and D. Budimir, "Novel periodically loaded E-plane filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 193, No. 195, Jun. 2003.
4. Goussetis, G. and D. Budimir, "Novel periodically loaded ridged waveguide Resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 37, No. 4, 266-268, May 2003.
5. Mandal, M. K., V. K. Velidi, A. Bhattacharya, and S. Sanyal, "Miniaturized quadrature hybrid coupler using high impedance lines," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 1135-1137, May 2008.
6. Chen, W.-L. and G.-M. Wang, "Design of novel miniaturized fractal-shaped branch-line couplers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 1198-1201, May 2008.
7. Sakagami, I., M. Haga, and T. Munehiro, "Reduced branch-line coupler using eight two-step stubs," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 6, 455-460, Dec. 1999.
8. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Nonuniform transmission lines as compact uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 205-211, 2008.
9. Ghorbaninejad, H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact bandpass filters utilizing dielectric filled waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 105-115, 2008.