Local Area Augmentation System (LAAS) based on multi-constellation GNSS can provide improved accuracy, availability and integrity needed to support all weather category II and III precision approach landing of aircraft. In order to receive satellite signals of GNSS, an antenna working over wide frequency band and high phase center stability is preferred. Commonly used antennas like crossed dipoles, patch etc. are inherently narrow band. This paper describes the design and development of half-cardioid shaped dual arm, wide band printed circuit antenna. The antenna has low VSWR of < 3:1, a stable phase center and good right hand circularly polarized radiation patterns covering full L-band frequencies. The simulated and measured results compare well. This compact antenna can also be used on ground, ship and airborne platforms to receive signals from multiple GNSS satellites above the horizon.
Achanta Dattatreya Sarma,
A. K. Mondal,
"A Wide Band Antenna for Multi-Constellation GNSS and Augmentation Systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 11, 65-77, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERM09100304
1. Braff, R., "Description of the FAA's local area augmentation system (LAAS)," Navigation, Journal of the Institute of Navigation, Vol. 44, No. 4, 411-423, Winter 1997--1998.
2. Kovar, P., P. Puricer, P. Kacmarik, and F. Vejrazka, Augmentation methods for GNSS integrity and precision enhancement in difficult environment, Proceedings of TimeNav 07, ENC-GNSS, European Navigation Conference, 107-114, The Printing House Inc., Stoughton, 2007.
3. Rizos, C., et al., New GNSS developments and their impact on providers and users spatial information, (http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/snap/publications/rizosetal 2005a.pdf).
4. Constantinescu, A. and R. J. Landry, GPS/Galileo/GLONASS hybrid satellite constellation simulator --- GPS constellation validation analysis, The Institute of Navigation 61st Annual Meeting, 733-737, Cambridge, MA, USA, 2005.
5. Zhang, Y. and H. T. Hui, "A printed hemispherical helical antenna for GPS receivers," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 1, 10-12, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.840953
6. Baik, J. W., K. J. Lee, W. S. Yoon, T. H. Lee, and Y. S. Kim, "Circularly polarised printed crossed dipole antennas with broadband axial ratio," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 13, 785-786, Jun. 19, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20080794
7. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Perigrinus Ltd., London, 1989.
8. Padros, N., et al., "Comparative study of high-performance GPS receiving antenna designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 4, 698-706, Apr. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.564096
9. Pozar, D. M. and S. M. Du®y, "A dual-band circularly polarised aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antenna for global positioning system," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 11, 1618-1625, Nov. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.650073
10. Boccia, L., et al., A high performance dual frequency microstrip antenna for global positioning system, IEEE Antenna and Propagation Soc. Int. Symposium, Vol. 4, 66-69, 2001.
11. Rao, B. R., et al., "Triple band GPS trap loaded inverted L antenna array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 1, 25-37, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10960
12. Yang, F. and Y. Rahamat-Samii, A single layer dual band circularly polarized microstrip antenna for GPS applications, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 720-723, Jun. 2002.
13. Zhou, Y., C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, Proximity-coupled stacked patch antenna for tri-band GPS applications, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2006, 2683-2686, Jul. 9--14, 2006.
14. DuHamel, R. H. and D. E. Isbell, "Broadband logarithmically periodic antenna structures," IRE National Convention Record, No. 1, 1957.
15. Rumsey, V. H., "Frequency-independent antennas," IRE National Convention Record, Vol. 5, Part 1, 114--118, 1957.
16. Grewal, B. S., Higher Engineering Mathematics, 36th Ed., Khanna Publications, New Delhi, 1998.
17. Dyson, J. D., "The equiangular spiral antenna," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 181-187, 1959. doi:10.1109/TAP.1959.1144653
18. Thaysen, J., et al., Numerical and experimental investigation of a coplanar waveguide-fed spiral antenna, IEEE 24th QMW Antenna Symposium, 13-16, 2000.