A new efficient technique for the analysis of complex antenna around a scatterer is proposed in this paper, termed the iterative vector fields with uniform geometrical theory of diffraction (UTD) technique. The complex field vector components on the closed surface enclosing the antenna without platform are computed by higher order Method of Moments (MOM), and the scattered fields from the platform are calculated by UTD method. The process of iteration is implemented according to the equivalence theorem. Based on this approach, an approximation method is outlined, in which the computational time is saved largely, while the accuracy is not reduced. The relative patterns obtained from the present method and the approximation method both show good agreements with that obtained from MOM.
2. Thiele, G. and T. Newhouse, "A hybrid technique for combining moment methods with the geometrical theory of diffraction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 23, No. 1, 62-69, 1975.
3. Zhang, P.-F., S.-X. Gong, and S.-F. Zhao, "Fast hybrid FEM/CRE-UTD method to compute the radiation pattern of antennas on large carriers ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 75-84, 2009.
4. Chou, H.-T. and H.-T. Hsu, "Hybridization of simulation codes based on numerical high and low frequency techniques for the e±cient antenna design in the presence of electrically large and complex structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 173-187, 2008.
5. Chen, M., X.-W. Zhao, and C.-H. Liang, "Analysis of antenna around NURBS surface with iterative MOM-PO technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1667-1680, 2006.
6. Lei, J.-Z., C.-H. Liang, W. Ding, and Y. Zhang, "Analysis of airborne phased-array antennas using hybrid method of parallel FDTD and UTD," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2009.
7. Wang, M., C.-H. Liang, and Y. Zhang, "Combining UTD with MM for pattern prediction of the antenna in complex environment," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 22, No. 3, 508-512, 2007.
8. Zhang, Y., X.-W. Zhao, M. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "An efficient MPI virtual topology based parallel, iterative MOM-PO hybrid method on PC clusters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 661-676, 2006.
9. HOBIES user manual, OHRN Enterprises, Inc., Syracuse, New HOBIES user manual, OHRN Enterprises, Inc., Syracuse, New York, 2006, http://lcs.syr.edu/faculty/sarkar/softw.asp#hobies.
10. Zhang, Y. and T. K. Sarkar, Parallel Solution of Integral Equation Based EM Problems in the Frequency Domain, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2009.
11. Zhang, Y., M. Taylor, T. Sarkar, H. Moon, and M. Yuan, "Solving large complex problems using a higher-order basis: Parallel incore and out-of-core integral-equation solvers," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1-30, Aug. 2008.
12. Zhao, X. W. and C.-H. Liang, "Performance comparison between two commercial EM software using higher order and piecewise RWG basis functions ," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1219-1225, 2009.
13. Kouyoumjian, R. G. and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of di®raction for an edge in a perfectly-conducting surface," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, 1448-1461, 1974.
14. Pathak, P. H., W. D. Burnside, and R. J. Marheflca, "A uniform GTD analysis of the diffraction of electromagnetic waves by a smooth convex surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 28, No. 5, 631-642, Sep. 1980.
15. Branko, M. K., "Electromagnetic modeling of composite metallic and dielectric structures ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 7, Jul. 1999.
16. Chou, H.-T. and H.-K. Ho, "Implementation of a forwardbackward procedure for the fast analysis of electromagnetic radiation/scattering from two-dimensional large phased arrays ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 2, 388-396, 2004.