In this paper the characteristic equations of the Eymn and Exmn modes of the dielectric rectangular waveguide have been derived using the mode matching technique. No assumptions have been taken in the derivations which have been straight forwardly done. Two ratios have been introduced in the characteristic equations and the new set of characteristic equations thus obtained are then plotted and graphical solutions are obtained for the propagation parameters assuming certain numerical values for the introduced ratios. The results have then been compared to those obtained by Marcatilli and Goell for rectangular dielectric waveguides. The comparisons depict a good agreement in the three methods at frequencies well above cut-off.
2. Goell, J. E., "A circular-harmonic computer analysis of rectangular dielectric waveguides," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 48, 2133, 1969.
3. Schlosser, W. and H. G. Unger, Advances in Microwaves, Academic Press, New York, 1966.
4. Eyges, L., P. Gianino, and P. Wintersteiner, "Modes of dielectric waveguides of arbitrary cross sectional shapes," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 69, 1226, 1979.
5. Shaw, C. B., B. T. French, and C.Warner III, "Further research on optical transmission lines," Sci. Rep. No. 2, Automatics' Report No. C7-929/501, Air Force Contract AF449(638)-1504 AD625 501.
6. Solbach, K. and I. Wolf, "The electromagnetic fields and the phase constants of dielectric image lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 26, 26-274, 1978.
7. Eyges, I., P. Gianino, and P. Wintersteiner, "Modes of dielectric waveguides of arbitrary cross sectional shape," J. Opt. Soc. Amer., Vol. 69, 1226-1235, 1979.
8. Ogusu, K., "Numerical analysis of the rectangular dielectric waveguide and its modification ," IEEE Trans., Vol. 25, 874-885, 1977.
9. Mabaya, N., P. E. Lagasse, and P. Vandenbulcke, "Finite element analysis of optical waveguides," IEEE Trans., Vol. 29, 6ML605, 1981.
10. Rahman, B. M. A. and J. B. Davies, "Finite element analysis of optical and microwave waveguide problems," IEEE Trans., Vol. 32, 2-28, 1984.
11. Hayata, K., M. Koshiba, M. Eguch, and M. Suzuki, "Novel finite element formulation without any spurious solutions for dielectric waveguides," Electron. Lett., Vol. 22, 295-296, 1986.
12. Borgnis, F. E. and C. H. Papas, Handbuch der Physik, Vol. 16, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1958.
13. Maxwell, J. C., A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, Dover, New York, 1954.
14. Sabetfakhri, K. and L. P. B. Katehi, "An integral transform technique for analysis of planar dielectric structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 1052-1062, 1994.
15. Athanasoulias, G. and N. K. Uzunoglu, "An accurate and efficient entire-domain basis Galerkin's method for the integral equation analysis of integrated rectangular dielectric waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 2794-2804, 1995.
16. Kolk, E. W., N. H. G. Baken, and H. Blok, "Domain integral equation analysis of integrated optical channel and ridged waveguides in stratified media," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 38, 78-85, 1990.
17. Peng, S. T., T. Tamir, and H. L. Bertoni, "Theory of periodic dielectric waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microware Theory Tech., Vol. 23, 123-133, Jan. 1975.
18. Mittra, R. J., Y.-L. Hou, and V. Jamnejad, "Analysis of opendielectric waveguide using mode-matching technique and variational methods," IEEE Trans. Microwawave Theory Tech., Vol. 28, 36-43, Jan. 1980.
19. Solbach, K. and I.Wolff, "The electromagnetic fields and thephase constants of dielectric image lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 26, 266-274, Apr. 1978.
20. Young, B. and T. Itoh, "Analysis and design of microslab waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, 850-856, Sept. 1987.
21. Yeh, C. and F. Shimabukuro, "The Essence of Dielectric Waveguides," Springer, 2008.
22. Harrington, R. F., Time Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, Mc-Hill Book Company, NY, 1961.
23. Adams, M. J., Introduction to Optical Waveguides, Wiley, New York 1981.