Electromagnetic wave scattering by many small particles is studied. An integral equation is derived for the self-consistent field E in a medium, obtained by embedding many small particles into a given region D. The derivation of this integral equation uses a lemma about convergence of certain sums. These sums are similar to Riemannian sums for the integral equation for E. Convergence of these sums is essentially equivalent to convergence of a collocation method for solving this integral equation. By choosing the distribution law for embedding the small particles and their physical properties one can create a medium with a desired refraction coefficient. This coefficient can be a tensor. It may have a desired absorption properties.
2. Mikhlin, S. and S. Prossdorf, Singular Integral Operators, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1986.
3. Milton, G., "The Theory of Composites," Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2002.
4. Muller, C., "Foundations of the Mathematical Theory of Electromagnetic Waves," Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1969.
5. Ramm, A. G., "Many-body wave scattering by small bodies and applications ," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 48, No. 10, 103511, 2007.
6. Ramm, A. G., "Distribution of particles which produces a ``smart" material," J. Stat. Phys., Vol. 127, No. 5, 915-934, 2007.
7. Ramm, A. G., "Electromagnetic wave scattering by small bodies," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 372, No. 23, 4298-4306, 2008.
8. Ramm, A. G., "Wave scattering by many small particles embedded in a medium," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 372, No. 17, 3064-3070, 2008.
9. Ramm, A. G., "A collocation method for solving integral equations," International Journ. of Comput. Sci. and Math. (IJCSM), Vol. 3, No. 2, 222-228, 2009.
10. Ramm, A. G., "A singular integral equation for electromagnetic wave scattering," Internat. Journ. Pure and Appl. Math., Vol. 55, No. 4, 7-11, 2009.
11. Ramm, A. G., "Creating desired potentials by embedding small inhomogeneities," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 50, No. 12, 123525, 2009.
12. Stromberg, K., An Introduction to Classical Real Analysis, Wadsworth Int. Group, Belmont California, 1981.