A semi-analytical model for the propagation of the repetition frequency high power microwave (HPM) pulses is established. The effects of different parameters of the repetition frequency HPM pulses on air breakdown are analyzed. A critical repetition frequency for the HPM pulse is presented under which the electron density does not exceed that of the air breakdown when the individual pulse arrives. The prediction for the critical repetition frequency and the threshold of the air breakdown due to the repetition frequency HPM pulses is demonstrated with several numerical simulations.
2. Martin, T. H., M. Williams, and M. Kristiansen, "J. C. Martin on Pulsed Power," Plenum Press, 1996.
3. Kitsanov, S. A., A. I. Klimov, S. D. Korovin, I. K. Kurkan, I. V. Pegel, and S. D. Polevin, "A vircator with electron beam premodulation based on high-current repetitively pulse accelerator," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 30, No. 1, 278-285, 2002.
4. Soliman, M. S., T. Morimoto, and Z. I. Kawasaki, "Three-dimensional localization system for impulsive noise sources using ultra-wideband digital interferometer technique," Journal of Elelctromagnetics Wave and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 515-530, 2006.
5. Golestani-Rad, L. and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "Rigorous analysis of EM-wave penetration into a typical room using FDTD method: The transfer function concept," Journal of Elelctromagnetics Wave and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 913-926, 2006.
6. Hwang, S. M., J. I. Hong, and C. S. Huh, "Characterization of the susceptibility of integrated circuits with induction caused by high power microwaves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 61-72, 2008.
7. Mesyats, G. A., V. G. Shpak, M. I. Yalandin, and S. A. Shunailov, "Compact high-current repetitive pulse accelerators," Pulse Power Conf., 73-77, San Diego, USA, Jun. 1991.
8. Cao, J. K., D. F. Zhou, Z. X. Niu, Y. Shao, W. Zou, and Z. W. Xing, "Air breakdown by repetition-rate high power microwave pulse," High Power Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 18, No. 1, 115-118, 2006.
9. Hu, T., D. F. Zhou, Q. R. Li, and Z. X. Niu, "Effect of electronic relaxation process on air breakdown caused by repetition frequency HPM," High Power Laser And Particle Beams, Vol. 21, No. 4, 545-549, 2009.
10. Kuo, S. P., Y. S. Zhang, and K. Paul, "Propagation of high power microwave pulses in air breakdown environment," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 133, No. 10, 2906-2912, 1991.
11. Duan, Y. Y. and Y. S. Chen, "Air breakdown of high power microwave pulse and its effect on transmitted energy," Journal of Microwaves, Vol. 16, No. 3, 260-264, 2000.
12. Woo, W. and J. S. DeGroot, "Micowave absorption and plasma heating due to microwave breakdown in the atmosphere," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 27, No. 2, 475-487, 1984.
13. Yee, J. H., D. J. Mayhall, G. E. Sieger, and R. A. Alvarez, "Propagation of intense microwave pulses in air and in a waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 9, 1421-1426, 1991.
14. MacDonald, A. D., "Microwave Breakdown in Gases," Wiley, 1966.
15. Niu, Z. X., D. J. Yu, J. H. Yang, D. F. Zhou, and D. T. Hou, "Non-linear attenuation of high power microwave propagation in atmosphere," Journal of Information Engineering University, Vol. 5, No. 2, 115-117, 2004.
16. Anderson, D. and M. Lisak, "Breakdown in air-filled microwave waveguides during pulsed operation," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1414-1419, 1984.
17. Hou, D. T., D. F. Zhou, Z. X. Niu, and Z. Q. Yu, "Effect on air refraction index by effective electric-field intensity in high power microwave propagation," High Power Laser And Particle Beams, Vol. 16, No. 9, 1183-1185, 2004.
18. Lófgren, M., D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and L. Lundgren, "Breakdown-induced distortion of high-power microwave pubes in air," Phys. Fluids, Vol. B3, No. 12, 3528-3531, 1991.
19. Tang, T., C. Liao, and D. Yang, "Feasibility study of solving high-power microwave propagation in the atmosphere using FDTD method," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 25, No. 1, 122-126, 2010.
20. Scholfield, D. W., J. M. Gahl, and N. Shimomura, "Effective electric field for an arbitrary electromagnetic pulse," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 27, No. 2, 628-632, 1999.
21. Ali, A. W., "Nanosecond air breakdown parameters for electron and microwave beam propagation," Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 6, 105-117, 1988.