Extinction and backscattering from thin curved fibers of finite conductivity are computed by solving the Pocklington integro-differential equation using the Moment Method with point matching scheme. For simplicity of interpretation these computations were performed at long wavelengths, in the Drude domain. The effect of the degree of curvature on the cross sections is examined for high and low fiber conductivities, and for two incident geometries: normal and parallel to the plane of the curved fiber. The computations show a narrowing and decreasing cross sections with increased fiber curvature for both low and high conductivities. The normal geometry produces larger cross sections than the parallel case.
2. Alyones, S. , C. W. Bruce, and A. Buin, "Numerical methods for solving the problem of electromagnetic scattering by a finite thin conducting wire," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, Jun. 2007.
3. Waterman, P. C., "Scattering, absorption, and extinction by thin fibers," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 22, No. 11, Nov. 2005.
4. Waterman, P. C. and J. C. Pederson, "Electromagnetic scattering and absorption by finite wires," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 78, 656-667, 1995.
5. Waterman, P. C. and J. C. Pederson, "Scattering by finite wires of arbitrary," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 15, 174-184, 1998.
6. Burke, G. J., Numerical Electromagnetic Code (NEC)-Method of Moment; Part I: Program Description-Theory, Part II: Program Description-Code, Part III: User's Guide, Rep. UCID-18834 Lawrence Livermore Nat. Lab., Livermore, CA, Jan. 1981.
7. Bruce, C. W., A. V. Jelinek, S. Wu, S. Alyones, and Q. Wang, "Millimeter wavelength investigation of fiberous aerosol absorption and scattering properties," Appl. Opt., Vol. 43, Dec. 20, 2004.
8. Bruce, C. W. and S. Alyones, "Extinction effeciencies for metallic fibers in the infrared," Appl. Opt., Vol. 48, 5095-5098, Sep. 20, 2009.
9. Jelinek, A. V. and C. W. Bruce, "Extinction spectra of high conductivity fibrous aerosols," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 78, 2675, 1995.
10. Gurton, K. P. and C. W. Bruce, "Parametric study of the absorption cross section for a moderately conducting thin cylinder," Appl. Opt., Vol. 34, 2822, 1995..
11. Alyones, S. and C. W. Bruce, "Electromagnetic scattering by finite conducting fiber: Limitation of a previous published code," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 7, 1021-1030, 2011.
doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.