This aricle reports the effect of vapour chopping technique on the properties of vacuum evaporated poly (3-methyl thiophene) thin films such as surface morphology, optical transmittance, band gap, refractive index and optical transmission loss. Vapour chopping gives smooth surface morphology with smaller grain size reduced roughness than non chopped thin films, while the transmittance of the thin film increases with simultaneous decrease in the refractive index, band gap and optical transmission loss decreases due to vapour chopping.
Sandip V. Kamat,
Sikandar H. Tamboli,
R. K. Puri,
R. B. Patil,
"Determination of Optical Transmission Loss in Poly (3-Methyl Thiophene) Thin Film Planar Waveguide: Effect of Vapour Chopping," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 18, 197-207, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11032501
1. Karim, M. R., K. T. Lim, C. J. Lee, and M. S. Lee, "A facile synthesis of polythiophene nanowires," Synthetic Metals, Vol. 157, 1008-1012, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.synthmet.2007.10.010
2. Ahn, S. H., M. Z. Czae, E. R. Kim, and H. Lee, "Synthesis andcharacterization of soluble polythiophene derivatives containing electron-transporting moiety," Macromolecules, Vol. 34, 2522-2527, 2001. doi:10.1021/ma000503p
3. Daik, R. and S. Maniam, "UV-visible absorption of alkyl-substituted poly (thiophene) solutions upon exposure to oxygen gas," Malaysian Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 9, 16-21, 2007.
4. Jahia, M., Journal of Nonlinear Optical Physics & Maerialst, Vol. 19, 269-280, 2010.
5. Fichou, D., "Structural order in conjugated oligothiophenes and its implications on opto-electronic devices," Journal of Material Chemistry, Vol. 10, 571-588, 2000. doi:10.1039/a908312j
6. Bloisi, F., A. Cassinese, R. Papa, L. Vicari, and V. Califano, "Matrix-assisted pulsed laser evaporation of polythiophene films," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 516, 1594-1598, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2007.03.159
7. Ma, X., G. Li, H. Xu, M. Wang, and H. Chen, "Preparation of polythiophene composite film by in situ polymerization at room temperature and its gas response studies," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 515, 2700-2704, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2006.07.081
8. Zhao, X., "Synthesis characterization and structure dependence of thermochromism of polythiophene derivatives," Journal of Material Science, Vol. 40, 3423-3428, 2005. doi:10.1007/s10853-005-2849-z
9. Mazur, M., "Preparation of poly (3-methylthiophene) thin films by in situ polymerization," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 472, 1-4, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2004.05.094
10. Yu Posudievskii, O., N. V. Konoshchuk, A. L. Kukla, A. S. Pavlyuchenko, G. V. Linyuchev, and V. D. Pokhodenko, "The effect of the nature of the dopant on the sensor response of poly (3-methylthiophene) films," Theoretical & Experimental Chemistry, Vol. 42, 339-345, 2006. doi:10.1007/s11237-006-0063-y
11. Stern, M. S., "Finite different analysis of planar optical waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetis Research, Vol. 10, 123-186, 1995.
12. Watanabe, K. and K. Kuto, "Numerical analysis of optical waveguides based on periodic fourier transform," Progress In Electromagnetis Research, Vol. 64, 1-21, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06060802
13. Al-Hetar, A. M., A. B. Mohammad, A. S. M. Supa'at, Z. A. Shamsan, and I. Yulianti, "A new structure of MMI polymer thermo optic switch with a high refractive index contrast," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 24, 103-120, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10062202
14. Patil, R. B., R. K. Puri, and V. Puri, "Effect of chopping on the properties of bismuth oxide thin films," Material Letters, Vol. 62, 198-201, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.matlet.2007.04.102
16. Tamboli, S. H., R. B. Patil, S. V. Kamat, V. Puri, and R. K. Puri, "Modification of optical properties of MgO thin films by vapour chopping," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 477, 855-859, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.jallcom.2008.11.011
17. Marani, A. D. and A. A. Entezami, "New synthesis method of polythiophenes," Iranian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology, Vol. 3, 2-12, 1994.
18. Yadav, J. B., R. K. Puri, and V. Puri, "Improvement in mechanical and optical properties of vapour chopped vacuum evaporated PANI/PMMA composite thin films," Applied Surface Science, Vol. 254, 1382-1388, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.apsusc.2007.06.052
19. Gok, A., M. Omastova, and A. G. Yavuz, "Synthesis and characterization of polythiophenes prepared in presence of surfactants," Synthetic Metals, Vol. 157, 23-29, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.synthmet.2006.11.012
20. Bascarini, F., P. Samorf, A. Lauria, P. Ostoja, R. Zamboni, C. Taliani, P. Viville, R. Lazzaroni, and J. L. Bredas, "Morphology and roughness of high-vacuum sublimed oligomer thin films," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 284, 439-443, 1996. doi:10.1016/S0040-6090(95)08361-8
21. Nicho, M. E., H. Hu, C. Lopez Mata, and J. Escalante, "Synthesis of derivatives of polythiophene and their applications in an electromic device," Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, Vol. 82, 105-118, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.solmat.2004.01.009
22. Yadav, J. B., R. B Patil, R. K. Puri, and V. Puri, "Optical properties of the chopped and non-chopped vacuum evaporated polyaniline thin film," Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol. 353, 4691-4696, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2007.06.060
23. Patil, P. V., R. K. Puri, and V. Puri, "Transmission loss decrease in thin film optical waveguide due to use of chopping technique and mixing by co-deposition," Journal of Optics, 27-33, 1998.