This paper presents an innovative design approach that improves the characteristics of rectangular dielectric resonator antenna (RDRA). In this design the dielectric resonator (DR) fed by microstrip line feed through a rectangular ring slot. This slot represents the coupling mechanism between the resonator and microstrip line. Both DR and slot are resonant structures. Further a comparative study is made by depicting a metallic patch over the DR. The antenna has been fabricated and measured for the study, such as impedance bandwidth, return loss, radiation pattern and antenna gain. Measurement results show dual band property with an achievable impedance bandwidth of 63.67% with return loss of -34.3 dB and antenna gain 2.32 dB.
2. Rao, Q. and T. A. Denidni, "Study of broadband dielectric resonator antennas," PIERS Online, Vol. 1, No. 2, 137-141, 2005.
3. Kumar, A. V. P., V. Hamasakutty, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Microstrip fed cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with a coplanar parasitic strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 143-152, 2006.
4. Leung, K. W. and H. K. Ng, "The slot-coupled hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna with a parasitic patch: Applications to the circularly polarized antenna and wide-band antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1762-1769, 2005.
5. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press Ltd., Hertfordshir, England, UK, 2003.
6. Rezaei, P. , M. Hakkak, and K. Foreoraghi, "Design of wideband dielectric resonator antenna with a two segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 111-124, 2006.
7. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Wideband simple cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 4, 241-243, 2005.
8. Petosa, A., et al., "Design and analysis of multisegment dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 738-742, 2000.
9. Clent, M. and L. Shafi, "Wideband single layer microstrip antenna for array applications," Electronics Lett., Vol. 25, No. 16, 1292-1293, 1999.
10. Kishk, A. A. , et al., "Conical dielectric resonator antennas for wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 4, 469-474, 2002.
11. Leung, , K. W. S. , K. K. Tse, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Cross-polarization characteristics of a probe-fed hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 7, 1228-1230, 1999.
12. Amelia, B. , S. Kamal, and H. Mosallaei, "Compact slot and dielectric resonator antenna with dual-resonance, broadband characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 1020-1026, 2005.