In order to ensure that SAR scene matching aided navigation system can acquire the position errors and yawing errors simultaneously, we propose an image matching algorithm based on Scale Invariant Feature Transform (SIFT). However, the SIFT is proposed for optical image, and its performance degrades when used in SAR image. To enhance the adaptability of SIFT, two ways are employed. One is the application of a preprocessing on image pairs before matching. The other is the establishment of a scale and rotation restriction criteria on tie-points after SIFT matching. Compared with other matching methods, experiment results show that the proposed method is much more suitable for SAR image and successes in matching performance improvement. Furthermore, the method can meet the real-time requirement.
1. James, E. B. and A. M. Charles, "Precision aided inertial navigation using SAR and digital map data," IEEE Position Location and Navigation Symposium, 490-496, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 1990.
2. Sheng, Y. W. and D. E. Alsdorf, "Automated georeferencing and orthorectification fo Amazon basin-wide SAR mosaics using SRTM DEM data," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 43, No. 8, 1929-1940, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.852160
3. Mikolajczyk, K. and C. Schmid, "An affne invariant interest point detector," ECCV 2002, 128-142, Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, 2002.
4. Mikolajczyk, K. and C. Schmid, "A performance evaluation of local descriptors," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol. 27, No. 10, 1615-1630, 2005. doi:10.1109/TPAMI.2005.188
6. Grabner, M., H. Grabner, and H. Bischof, "Fast approximated SIFT," Asian Conferonce on Comput. Vis., 918-927, Hyderabad, India, 2006.
7. Ke, Y. and R. Sukthankar, "PCA-SIFT: A more distinctive representation for local image descriptors," Proceedings of IEEE Comput. Soci. Conference on Comput. Vis. Pattern. Recog., 506-513, Washington D.C., USA, 2004.
8. Lu, J., B. Wang, H. M. Gao, and Z. Q. Zhou, "SAR images matching based on local shape descriptors," IET International Radar Conference, 235-238, Guilin, China, 2009.
9. Yi, Z., Z. G. Cao, and X. Yang, "Multi-spectral remote image registration based on SIFT," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 2, 107-108, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20082477
10. Bastanlar, Y., A. Temizel, and Y. Yardimci, "Improved SIFT matching for image pairs with scale difference," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 5, 346-348, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.2548
11. Xie, H., L. Pierce, and F. Ulaby, "Statistical properties of logarithmically transformed speckle," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 40, No. 3, 721-727, 2002. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2002.1000333
12. Xie, H., L. Pierce, and F. Ulaby, "SAR speckle reduction using wavelet denoising and Markov random filed modeling," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 40, No. 10, 2196-2212, 2002. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2002.802473
13. James, E. B. and A. M. Charles, "Precision aided inertial navigation using SAR and digital map data," IEEE Position Location and Navigation Symposium, 490-496, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 1990.