A new three dimensional conical ground plane electromagnetic cloak is proposed and designed based on the coordinate transformation of Maxwell's equations. Material parameters of the conical invisible cloak are derived which have simple form and lesser inhomogeneity compared with other 3-dimensional cloaks. Because of convenient form of the constitutive tensors of the conical cloak, we propose a new strategy for homogeneous approximation of the materials of the cloaks. Numerical simulations confirm that approximation with eight slices, is more than enough and this cloak can hide any object on the ground as well as inhomogeneous ones.
2. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006.
3. Milton, G. W. and N. A. P. Nicorovici, "On the cloaking effects associated with anomalous localized resonance," Proc. R. Soc. A, Vol. 462, 3027-3059, 2006.
4. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Combination of MLS, GA & CG for the reduction of RCS of multilayered cylindrical structures composed of dispersive metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 3, 227-253, 2008.
5. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Some aspects of radio wave propagation in double zero metamaterials having the real parts of epsilon and Mu equal to zero," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1957-1968, 2009.
6. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Design and optimization of planar multilayer antireflection metamaterial coatings at Ku band under circularly polarized oblique plane wave incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics, Research C, Vol. 3, 1-18, 2008.
7. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, 016623, 2005.
8. Alitalo, P., O. Luukkonen, L. JylhAa, J. Venermo, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Transmission-line networks cloaking objects from electromagnetic fields," IEEE Trans. Ant. and Prop., Vol. 56, No. 2, 416-424, 2008.
9. Cummer, S. A., B. I. Popa, D. Schurig, D. R. Smith, and J. Pendry, "Full-wave simulations of electromagnetic cloaking structures," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 036621, 2006.
10. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Ultra wide band RCS optimization of multilayerd cylindrical structures for arbitrarily polarized incident plane waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 129-157, 2008.
11. Xi, S., H. Chen, B. I. Wu, B. Zhang, J. Huangfu, D. Wang, and J. A. Kong, "Effects of different transformations on the performance of cylindrical cloaks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 11-12, 1489-1497, 2008.
12. Rahm, M., D. Schurig, D. A. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwell's equations," Photon. Nanostruct.: Fundam. Applic., Vol. 6, 87-95, 2008.
13. Ma, H., S. Qu, Z. Xu, J. Zhang, B, Chen, and J. Wang, "Material parameter equation for elliptical cylindrical cloaks," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 77, 013825, 2008.
14. Diatta, A., A. Nicolet, S. Guenneau, and F. Zolla, "Tessellated and stellated invisibility," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 16, 13389-13394, 2008.
15. Wu, Q., K. Zhang, F. Meng, and L. W. Li, "Material parameters characterization for arbitrary N-sided regular polygonal invisible cloak," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 42, 035408, 2009.
16. Han, T. and C. Qiu, "Isotropic nonmagnetic flat cloaks degenerated from homogeneous anisotropic trapeziform cloaks," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 12, 13038, 2010.
17. You, Y., G. W. Kattawar, and P. Yang, "Invisibility cloaks for toroids," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, 6591-6599, 2009.
18. Cheng, Q., W. X. Jiang, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations of the electromagnetic properties of three-dimensional arbitrarily-shaped cloaks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 105-117, 2009.
19. Zhai, Y. B. and T. J. Cui, "Three-dimensional axisymmetric invisibility cloaks with arbitrary shapes in layered medium background," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 151-163, 2011.
20. Ergin, T., N. Stenger, P. Brenner, J. B. Pendry, and M. Wegener, "Three-dimensional invisibility cloak at optical wavelength," Science, Vol. 328, 337-339, 2010.
21. Cheng, X. X., H. S. Chen, and X. M. Zhang, "Cloaking a perfectly conducting sphere with rotationally uniaxial nihility media in monostaticx radar system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 285-298, 2010.
22. Wang, J., S. Qu, J. Zhang, H. Ma, Y. Yang, C. Gu, X. Wu, and Z. Xu, "A tunable left-handed metamaterial based on modified broadside-coupled split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 35-45, 2009.
23. Li, J. and J. B. Pendry, "Hiding under the carpet: A new strategy for cloaking," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 101, No. 20, 203901, 2008.
24. Zhang, P., Y. Jin, and S. He, "Cloaking an object on a dielectric half-space," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 3161-3166, 2008.
25. Ma, H. F. and T. J. Cui, "Three-dimensional broadband ground-plane cloak made of metamaterials," Nature Commun., Vol. 1, 1-6, 2010.
26. Ding, D. Z. and R. S. Chen, "Electromagnetic scattering by conducting bor coated with chiral media above a lossy half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 385-401, 2010.
27. Cummer, S. A., B. I. Popa, D. Schurig, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Full-wave simulations of electromagnetic cloaking structures," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 036621, 2006.
28. Jiang, W. X., T. J. Cui, G. X. Yu, X. Q. Lin, Q. Cheng, and J. Y. Chin, "Arbitrarily elliptical-cylindrical invisible cloaking," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 41, 085504-085508, 2008.