DeDesign procedure for a modified Composite Right/Left Handed (CRLH) unit cell is represented. The ferroelectric interdigital capacitor (IDC) is used as a tuned capacitor, and spiral inductor is utilized to implement inductors. A modified CRLH unit cell is attained by moving the shunt inductor of conventional unit cell to both ends with doubled values. In this manner, only one bias network would be required for each unit cell. The parameters of the designed unit cell are obtained so that the Bloch impedance to be equal to 50Ω and the Bloch propagation constant to have one zero at the operational frequency. The operational frequency is chosen equal to 11.45 GHz, which is in the Ku-band and in middle of the up-link satellite communications. To design the modified unit cell, initially, the unit cell without a shunt capacitor is constructed. This would result in Π-model structure for which the element dimensions are varied to reach the desired values. Next, the shunt capacitor is added to the model and its length is varied until the balanced condition is achieved.
2. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
3. Abdelaziz, A. F., T. M. Abuelfadl, and O. L. Elsayed, "Realization of composite right/left-handed transmission line using coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 299-315, 2009.
4. Camacho-Penalosa, C., T. M. Martin-Guerrero, J. Esteban, and J. E. Page, "Derivation and general properties of artifitial lossless balanced composite right/left-handed transmission line of arbitrary order," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 151-169, 2009.
5. Sanchez-Martinez, J. J., E. Marquez-Segura, P. Otero, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Artifitial transmission line with left/right-handed behaviour based on wire bonded interdigital capacitor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 245-264, 2009.
6. Upadhyay, D. K. and S. Pal, "Design of novel improved unit cell for composite right/left-handed transmission line based microwave circuits," International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (IJEST), Vol. 3, No. 6, 4962-4967, 2011.
7. Lin, S., "Composite right/left-handed band-pass filters with wide fractional bandwidth based on dual-metal-plane structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Letter, Vol. 52, 1810-1813, 2010.
8. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide and half mode substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave structures," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 767-775, Mar. 2011.
9. Lim, S., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based electronically controlled transmission-line structure as a novel leaky-wave antenna with tunable radiation angle and beamwidth," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 161-173, Jan. 2005.
10. Abdalla, M., K. Phang and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A planar electronically steerable patch array using tunable PRI/NRI phase shifters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 3, 531-541, Mar. 2009.
11. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2006.
12. Bahl, I., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House Inc., 2003.
13. Nath, J., D. Ghosh, J. Maria, A. I. Kingon, W. Fathelbab, P. D. Franzon, and M. B. Steer, "An electronically tunable microstrip bandpass filter using thin-film barium strontium titanate (BST) varactors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2707-2711, Sep. 2005.
14. Tong, W., Z. Hu, H. Zhang, C. Caloz, and A. Rennings, "Study and realisation of dual-composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide metamaterial in MMIC technology," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 7, 731-736, 2008.
15. Edwards, T. C. and M. B. Steer, Foundations of Interconnect and Microstrip Design, 3rd edition, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2000.
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd edition, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2005.
17. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th edition, McGraw-Hill Co., 2007.
18. Gevorgian, S., T. Martinsson, L. J. P. Linner, and E. L. Kollberg, "CAD models for multilayered substrate interdigital capacitors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 44, No. 6, 896-904, Jun. 1996.