We investigate the properties of nonlinear envelope pulses developed in a coupled composite right- and left-handed (CRLH) transmission line with regularly spaced Schottky varactors. It is found that the dispersive distortion of the envelope pulses carried by each mode is well compensated by nonlinearity introduced by the varactors. In addition, we numerically observe that the collision of two nonlinear envelope pulses leads to the development of a new pair of envelope pulses (one traveling forward and the other backward). The newly developed pulses become maximal when phase-matching with the original pulses is established, and their carrier frequency is close to that of the harmonics of the colliding pulses.
2. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Signal reshaping in a transmission line with negative group velocity behaviour," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2627-2633, 2009.
3. Chi, P. and T. Itoh, "Dispersion engineering with CRLH metamaterials," Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology, 128-131, 2009.
4. Gomez-Diaz, J. S., S. Gupta, A. Alvarez-Melcon, and C. Caloz, "Investigation on the phenomenology of impulse-regime metamaterial transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 57, 4010-4014, 2009.
5. Kozyrev, A. B. and D. W. van der Weide, "Nonlinear wave propagation phenomena in left-handed transmission-line media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 238-245, 2005.
6. Gupta, S. and C. Caloz, "Dark and bright solitons in left-handed nonlinear transmission line metamaterials," Proc. of IEEE MTT- S Int'l. Microwave Symp. 2007, 979-982, Honolulu, 2007.
7. Kafaratzis, A. and Z. Hu, "Envelope solitons in nonlinear left handed transmission lines," Proceedings of Metamaterials 2007, 771-773, Rome, Oct. 22-24, 2007.
8. Simion, S., R. Marcelli, G. Bartolucci, G. Sajin, and F. Craciunoiu, "Nonlinear composite right/left-handed transmission line for frequency doubler and short pulse generation," Proc. of Metamaterials 2008, 492-494, 2008.
9. Gharakhili, F. G., M. Shahabadi, and M. Hakkak, "Bright and dark soliton generation in a left-handed nonlinear transmission line with series nonlinear capacitors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 237-249, 2009.
10. Narahara, K., T. Nakamichi, T. Suemitsu, T. Otsuji, and E. Sano, "Development of solitons in composite right- and left-handed transmission lines periodically loaded with Schottky varactors," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 102, 024501-024504, 2007.
11. Ogasawara, J. and K. Narahara, "Short envelope pulse propagation in composite right- and left-handed transmission lines with regularly spaced Schottky varactors," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 6, 1576-1581, 2009.
12. Narahara, K., "Collision of nonlinear envelope pulses developed in composite right- and left-handed transmission lines periodically loaded with Schottky varactors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 21, 1-21, 2011.
13. Narahara, K., "Nonlinear traveling-wave field-effect transistors for managing dispersion-free envelope pulses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 29-38, 2011.
14. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, and I. J. Bahl, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, Artech, 1979.
15. Taniuti, T., "Reductive perturbation method and far fields of wave equations," Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl., Vol. 55, 1-35, 1974.