Estimation and mitigation of multipath error improves the positional accuracy of GPS. The objective of this paper is to estimate the effect of multipath interference at the receiver antenna based on both code and carrier phase measurements using Code minus Carrier (CMC) technique, and suggest a suitable method to mitigate it for static applications. Different adaptive filters such as Least Mean Squares (LMS) and various Recursive Least Squares (RLS) are considered to mitigate the error. The estimated multipath error for a typical signal is 0.8 m and 2.1 m on L1 and L2 carriers, respectively. The results due to adaptive filtering methods are encouraging and significant reduction of error (cm level) is observed. It is found that, when compared with experimental static dual frequency GPS receiver data, LMS and RLS filters give better error minimization on L1 and L2, respectively.
2. El-Rabbany, A., Global Positioning System, Artech House Publishers, 2002.
3. Hagerman, L., "Effects of multipath on coherent and non coherent PRN ranging receiver," Aerospace Rep. TOR-0073 (3020-03)-3, Development Planning Division, the Aerospace Corporation, May 15, 1973.
4. Hofmann-Wellenhof, B., H. Lichtenegger, and J. Collins, Global Navigation Satellite Systems, 5th revised edition, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, New York, 2007.
5. Bilich, A. and K. M. Larson, "Mapping the GPS multipath environment using the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)," Radio Sci., Vol. 42, RS6003, 2007, doi: 10.1029/2007RS003652..
6. Christopher, J. C. and A. Penina, "Adaptive SNR-based carrier phase multipath mitigation technique," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 34, No. 1, 264-276, January 1998.
7. Ray, J. K., M. E. Cannon, and P. Fenton, "Code range and carrier phase multipath mitigation using SNR, range and phase measurements in a multi-antenna system," Proceedings of the 12th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of The Institute of Navigation, 1025-1034, September 14-17, 1999.
8. Parkinson, B. W. and P. Axelrad, "Autonomous GPS integrity monitoring using the pseudorange residual," Journal of the Institute of Navigation, Vol. 35, No. 2, 255-274, 1988.
9. De Jong, K., "The Influence of code multipath on the estimated parameters of the geometry-free GPS model," GPS Solutions, Vol. 3, No. 2, 11-18, 1999.
10. Jonathan, H. W., R. J. Davis, and E. N. Rosario, "Multipath mitigation performance of planar GPS adaptive antenna arrays for precision landing ground stations," 13th International Technical Meeting of The Satellite Division of The Institute of Navigation, 1-8, Salt Lake City, Utah, September 2000.
11. LinLin, G. E., S. Han, and C. Rizos, "Multipath mitigation of continuous GPS measurements using an adaptive filter," GPS Solutions, Vol. 4, No. 2, 19-30, 2000.
12. Sleewaegen, J., "Multipath mitigation, benefits from using the signal to noise ratio," Proceedings of ION GPS-97, 531-540, Kansas City, September 16-19, 1997.
13. Xia, L., "Approach for multipath reduction using wavelet algorithm," Proceedings of International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of the Institute of Navigation, 2134-2143, Kansas City, September 11-14, 2001.
14. Satirapod, C., R. Khoonphool, and C. Rizos, "Multipath miti-gation of permanent GPS stations using wavelets," International Symposium on GPS/GNSS, Tokyo, 2003.
15. Hatch, R., "The synergism of GPS code and carrier measurements," Proceedings of the 3rd International Geodetic Symposium on Satellite Doppler Positioning, 1213-1231, February 1982.
16. Rizos, C., "Principles and practice of GPS surveying,", Monograph 17, 555, School of Geomatic Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 1996.
17. Misra, P. and P. Enge, Global Positioning System: Signals, Measurements and Performance, 2nd edition, Ganga Jamuna Press, 2006.
18. Kaplan, D., Understanding GPS: Principles and Applications, Artech House, Booston, London, 1996.
19. Haykin, S., Adaptive Filter Theory, 4th edition, Pearson Education Inc., 2007.
20. Yedukondalu, K., A. D. Sarma, and V. Satya Srinivas, "Multipath mitigation using LMS adaptive filtering for GPS applications," Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC-2009), Kolkata, India, December 14-16, 2009.
21. Liu, H., X. Li, L. Ge, C. Rizos, and F. Wang, "Variable length LMS adaptive filter for carrier phase multipath Mitigation," GPS Solutions, Vol. 15, 29-38, 2011, doi 10.1007/s10291-010-0165-9..
22. Yedukondalu, K., A. D. Sarma, and A. Kumar, "GPS multipath interference mitigation using recursive least squares adaptive fiiltering," 2010 IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, 104-107, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, December 6-9, 2010.
23. Rama Krishna Rao, B., Y. Ravi Kumar, D. Venkata Ratnam, D. Krishna Reddy, and A. D. Sarma, "Investigation of EMI and multipath effects on CRABEX receiver," EMC Journal, Chennai, India, October 2006.
24. Kumar, A., A. D. Sarma, A. K. Mondal, and K. Yedukondalu, "A wide band antenna for multi-constellation GNSS and augmentation systems," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 11, 65-77, 2010.