In this study, refractive index changes associated with intersubband transitions in a spherical quantum dot, GaAs/AlxGa1-xAs, have been theoretically calculated in the presence of impurity. In this regard, the effect of dot radius, stoichiometric ratio, impurity and incident optical intensity on the refractive index changes have been investigated for the transitions between higher energy states, i.e., 1s-1p, 1p-1d and 1d-1f. The results show that these parameters have a great influence on the refractive index changes.
2. Bose, C. and C. K. Sarkar, "Effect of a parabolic potential on the impurity binding energy in spherical quantum dots," Physica B, Vol. 253, 238, 1998.
3. Niculescu, E. C., "Energy levels in a spherical quantum dot with parabolic confinement under applied electric fields," Mod. Phys. Lett. B, Vol. 15, 545, 2001.
4. Mikhail, I. F. I. and I. M. M. Ismail, "Binding energy of an off-centre hydrogenic donor impurity in a spherical quantum dot," Phys. Stat. Sol. (B), Vol. 244, 3647, 2007.
5. Cakir, B., A. Ozmen, U. Atav, H. Yuksel, and Y. Yakar, "Investigation of electronic structure of a quantum dot using slater-type orbitals and quantum genetic algorithm," Int. J. Mod. Phys. C, Vol. 18, 61, 2007.
6. Cakir, B., A. Ozmen, U. Atav, H. Yuksel, and Y. Yakar, "Calculation of electronic structure of a spherical quantum dot using a combination of quantum genetic algorithm and Hartree-Fock-Roothaan method," Int. J. Mod. Phys. C, Vol. 19, 599, 2008.
7. Aquino, N., "The hydrogen and helium atoms confined in spherical boxes," Adv. Quantum Chem., Vol. 57, 123, 2009.
8. Patil, S. H. and Y. P. Varshni, "Properties of confined hydrogen and helium atoms," Adv. Quantum Chem., Vol. 57, 1, 2009.
9. Sadeghi, E., "Impurity binding energy of excited states in spherical quantum dot," Physica E, Vol. 41, 1319, 2009.
10. Duque, C. A., E. Kasapoglu, S. Sakiro·glu, H. Sari, and E. Sokmen, "Intense laser effects on donor impurity in a cylindrical single and vertically coupled quantum dots under combined effects of hydrostatic pressure and applied electric field," Apply Surf. Sci., Vol. 256, 7406, 2010.
11. Mikhail, I. F. I. and I. M. M. Ismail, "Hydrogenic impurity in a quantum dot: Comparison between the variational and strong perturbation methods," Superlattices Microstruct., Vol. 48, 388, 2010.
12. Nasri, D. and N. Sakkal, "General properties of confined hydrogenic impurities in spherical quantum dots," Physica E, Vol. 42, 2257, 2010.
13. Ahn, D. and S. L. Chuang, "Calculation of linear and nonlinear intersubband optical absorptions in a quantum-well model with an applied electric-field," J. Quantum Electronics, Vol. 23, 2196, 1987.
14. Kuhn, K. J., G. I. Iyengar, and S. Yee, "Free carrier induced changes in the absorption and refractive index for intersubband optical transitions in AlxGa11-xAs/GaAs/AlxGa11-xAs quantum wells," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 70, 5010, 1991.
15. Liu, C. H. and B. R. Xu, "Theoretical study of the optical absorption and refraction index change in a cylindrical quantum dot," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 372, 888, 2008.
16. Wang, G., Q. Guo, and K. Guo, "Refractive index changes induced by the incident optical intensity in semiparabolic quantum wells," Chin. J. Phys., Vol. 109, 063108, 2011.
17. Ozmen, A., Y. Yakar, B. Cakir, and U. Atav, "Computation of the oscillator strength and absorption coeffcients for the intersubband transitions of the spherical quantum dot," Opt. Commun., Vol. 282, 3999, 2009.
18. Yakar, Y., B. Cakir, and A. Ozmen, "Linear and nonlinear optical properties in spherical quantum dots," Commun. Theor. Phys., Vol. 53, 1185, 2010.
19. Cakir, B., Y. Yakar, A. Ozmen, M. O. Sezer, and M. Sahin, "Linear and nonlinear optical absorption coeffcients and binding energy of a spherical quantum dot," Superlattices Microstruct., Vol. 47, 556, 2010.
20. Yakar, Y., B. Cakir, and A. Ozmen, "Calculation of linear and nonlinear optical absorption coeffcients of a spherical quantum dot with parabolic potential," Opt. Commun., Vol. 283, 1795, 2010.
21. Chen, B., K. X. Guo, R. Z. Wang, Z. H. Zhang, and Z. L. Liu, "Linear and nonlinear intersubband optical absorption in double triangular quantum wells," Solid State Commun., Vol. 149, 310, 2009.
22. Bau, N. Q., L. T. Hung, and N. D. Nam, "The nonlinear absorption coeffcient of a strong electromagnetic wave by confined electrons in quantum wells under the influences of confined phonons," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1751-1761, 2010.
23. Trein, H. D. and N. V. Nhan, "The nonlinear absorption of a strong electromagnetic waves caused by confined electrons in a cylindrical quantum wire," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 87-96, 2011.
24. Sahin, M., "Photoionization cross section and intersublevel transitions in a one- and two-electron spherical quantum dot with a hydrogenic impurity," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, 045317, 2008.
25. Sahin, M., "Third-order nonlinear optical properties of a one- and two-electron spherical quantum dot with and without a hydrogenic impurity," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 106, 063710, 2009.
26. Yuan, J. H., J. S. Huang, M. Yin, O. J. Zeng, and J. P. Zhang, "The correlation energies and nonlinear optical absorptions of an exciton in a disc-like quantum dot," Opt. Commun., Vol. 283, 3529, 2010.
27. Shao, S., K. X. Guo, Z. H. Zhang, N. Li, and C. Peng, "Studies on the third-harmonic generations in cylindrical quantum dots with an applied electric field," Superlattices Microstruct., Vol. 48, 541, 2010.
28. Rezaei, G., B. Vaseghi, F. Taghizadeh, M. R. K. Vahdani, and M. J. Karimi, "Intersubband optical absorption coeffcient changes and refractive index changes in a two-dimensional quantum pseudodot system," Superlattices Microstruct., Vol. 48, 450, 2010.
29. Zhang, L., Z. Yu, W. Yao, Y. Liu, and H. Ye, "Linear and nonlinear optical properties of strained GaN/AlN quantum dots: Effects of impurities, radii of QDs, and the incident optical intensity," Superlattices Microstruct., Vol. 48, 434, 2010.
30. Rezaei, G., M. R. K. Vahdani, and B. Vaseghi, "Nonlinear optical properties of a hydrogenic impurity in an ellipsoidal finite potential quantum dot," Current Appl. Phys., Vol. 11, 176, 2011.
31. Zhang, Z. H., K. X. Guo, B. Chen, R. Z. Wang, M. W. Kang, and S. Shao, "Theoretical studies on the optical absorption coeffcients and refractive index changes in parabolic quantum dots in the presence of electric and magnetic fields," Superlattices Microstruct., Vol. 47, 408, 2010.
33. Duque, C. A., E. Kasapoglu, S. Sakiroglu, H. Sari, and E. Sokmen, "Intense laser effects on nonlinear optical absorption and optical rectification in single quantum wells under applied electric and magnetic field," Apply Surf. Sci., Vol. 257, 2313, 2011.
34. Kirak, M., S. Yilmaz, M. S»ahin, and M. Gencaslan, "The electric field effects on the binding energies and the nonlinear optical properties of a donor impurity in a spherical quantum dot," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 109, 094309, 2011.
35. Boyd, W., Nonlinear Optics, 2nd edition, Academic Press, New York, 2003.
36. Adachi, S., GaAs and Related Materials: Bulk Semiconducting and Superlattice Properties, World Scientific, Singapore, 1994.
37. Queisser, H. J. and E. E. Haller, "Defects in semiconductors: Some fatal, some vital," Science, Vol. 281, 945, 1998.