The effect of exponentially graded material on the modal dispersion characteristics, group velocity and effective group index as well as phase index of refraction of a binary One-Dimensional Plasma Photonic Crystals (1D-PPCs) has been studied. The dispersion relation is derived by solving Maxwell's equations and using the transfer matrix method. The anomalous dispersion characteristics are observed for different values of selection parameters. The introduction of graded dielectric layers in 1D-PPCs provides additional parameters for controlling the propagation characteristics of 1D-PPCs. Also, the band gap is shown to become larger with the increase of plasma frequency and plasma width. Hence the structure having plasma and exponentially graded dielectric layer in unit cell is more useful for controlling and tuning of the plasma functioning devices than the structure having plasma and homogeneous dielectric layer in one unit cell.
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric super lattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486-2489, 1989.
3. Joannoupoulos, J. D. , R. D. Mende, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystal: Molding the Flow of Light, N. J. Princeton University Press, 1995.
4. Sakoda, K., Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, Springer, 2005.
5. Zi, J. , J. Wan, and C. Zhang, "Large frequency range of negligible transmission in one-dimensional photonic quantum well structures," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 73, 2084-2086, 1998.
6. Chien, H. T. and C. C. Chen, "Focusing of electromagnetic waves by periodic arrays of air holes with gradually varying radii," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, No. 22, 10759-10764, 2006.
7. Tian, H., Y. Ji, C. Li, and H. Liu, "Transmission properties of one-dimensional graded photonic crystals and enlargement of omni-directional negligible transmission gap," Optics Communications, Vol. 275, 83-89, 2007.
8. Goncharov, A. A., A. V. Zatuagan, and I. M. Protsenko, "Focusing and control of multiaperture ion beams by plasma lenses," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 21, 578-581, 1993.
9. Dwyer , T. , J. Greig, D. Murphy, J. Perin, R. Pechacek, and M. Raleigh, "On the feasibility of using an atmospheric discharge plasma as an RF antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 32, 141-146, 1984.
10. Vidmar, R. J., "On the use of atmospheric pressure plasmas as electromagnetic reflectors and absorbers," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 18, 733-741, 1990.
11. Pacher, , C., , C. Rauch, G. Strasser, E. Gornik, F. Elsholz, A. Wacker, G. KleBlich, and E. Scholl, "Antireflection coating for miniband transport and Fabry-Perot resonances in GaAs/AlGaAs superlattices," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 79, 1486-1488, 2001.
12. Hojo, H. and A. Mase, "Dispersion relation of electromagnetic waves in one-dimensional Plasma photonic crystals," J. Plasma Fusion Res., Vol. 80, No. 2, 89-90, 2004.
13. Laxmi, S. and P. Mahto, "Photonic band gap effect in one-dimensional plasma dielectric photonic crystals," Solid State Commun., Vol. 138, 160-164, 2006.
14. Ojha, S. P., K. B. Thapa, and S. K. Singh, "Superluminal propagation in plasma photonic band gap materials," Optik, Vol. 119, 81-85, 2008.
15. Kumar, V., K. S. Singh, and S. P. Ojha, "Band structure, reflection properties and abnormal behaviour of one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 9, 227-241, 2009.
16. Kong, X.-K. , H.-W Yang, and S.-B. Liu, "Anomalous dispersion in one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals," Optik, Vol. 121, No. 20, 1873-1876, 2010.
17. Bin, G., "Transfer Matrix for obliquely incident electromagnetic waves propagating in one dimension plasma photonic crystals," Plasma Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 1, 18-22, 2009.
18. Prasad, S., V. Singh, and A. K. Singh, "Modal propagation characteristics of EM waves in ternary one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals," Optik, Vol. 121, No. 16, 1520-1528, 2010.
19. Prasad, S., V. Singh, and A. K. Singh, "A Comparative study of dispersion relation of EM Waves in Ternary one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals having two different structures," Optik, Vol. 122, 1279-1283, 2011.
20. Hocker, G. B. and W. K. Burns, "Modes in diffused optical waveguides of arbitrary index profile," IEEE J. of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 6, 270-276, 1975.
21. Huang, S. Y. and S. Y. Wang, "Ray optics of a planar waveguide with an exponential index profile," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 55, No. 3, 647-651, 1984.
22. Huang, S.Y. and S.Y. Wang, "Light propagation characteristics in various dielectric waveguides," Chinese Journal of Physics, Vol. 24, No. 2, 129-137, 1986.
23. Chiang, H. P., P. T. Leung, and W. S. Tse, "Remarks on the substrate-temperature dependence of surface-enhanced Raman scattering," J. Phys. Chem. B, Vol. 104, No. 10, 2348-2350, 2000.
24. Kaminow, I. P. and J. A. Carruthers, "Optical waveguiding layers in LiNb03 and LiTa03," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 22, 326-328, 1973.
25. Sang, Z. F. and Z. Y. Li, "Optical properties of one-dimensional photonic crystals containing graded materials," Optics Communications, Vol. 259, 174-178, 2006.
26. Sang, Z. F. and Z. Y. Li, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals containing a graded defect layer," Optics Communications, Vol. 273, 162-166, 2007.
27. Thapa, K. B., P. C. Pandey, S. K. Singh, and S. P. Ojha, "Omni-directional bands in multilayer structure containing exponentially graded materials," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 56, No. 11, 1309-1315, 2009.
28. Yeh, P., A. Yariv, and C. S. Hong, "Electromagnetic propagation in periodic stratified media - I. General theory," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 67, No. 4, 423-438, 1977.