A proximity-fed MIMO (multiple-input-multiple-output) antenna with two printed IFAs (inverted-F antennas) and a wideband T-shaped neutralization line is presented. Each element printed IFA is fed by a proximity-fed structure which provides a parameter to control the return loss without effect on the isolation of the two IFAs. The wideband T-shaped neutralization line, which consists of two meandered branches and a rectangular grounded branch, can enhance the isolation of the two IFAs over a wide operation band (2.35-3.75 GHz). The two meandered branches are connected to the two IFAs, respectively, and the rectangular branch is connected to the ground plane. There are two parameters to adjust the isolation without effect on the return loss. Therefore, the operational bandwidth and the isolation of the proposed antenna can be controlled independently. A bandwidth of 46% with VSWR ≤ 2 and isolation ≥ 20 dB from 2.35 to 3.75 GHz is achieved. The MIMO antenna of compact size 40 x 14 mm2 is suitable for application in mobile phones. Moreover, the ground plane size can be changed for applying the proposed antenna in different handsets. The results, including S-parameters, radiation pattern, mean effective gain (MEG), radiation efficiency, complex correlation coefficient and the effects of human hand and head, indicate the proposed MIMO antenna can provide spatial and pattern diversity.
2. Krairiksh, M., P. Keowsawat, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and S. Kosulvit, "Two-probe excited circular ring antenna for MIMO application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 417-431, 2009.
3. Bae, S., Y.-K. Hong, J.-J. Lee, J.-H. Park, J. Jalli, G. Abo, H. M. Kwon, and C. K. K. Jayasooriya, "Miniature and higher-order mode ferrite MIMO ring patch antenna for mobile communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 53-74, 2010.
4. Najam, A. I., Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjni, "UWB-MIMO antenna with novel stub structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 245-257, 2011.
5. Kim, K. J. and K. H. Ahn, "The high isolation dual-band inverted F antenna diversity system with the small N-section resonators on the ground plane," Microw. Opt. Technol. Letter, Vol. 49, No. 3, 731-734, Mar. 2007.
6. Min, K. S., M.-S. Kim, C.-K. Park, and M. D. Vu, "Design for PCS antenna based on WiBro-MIMO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 77-83, 2008.
7. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, and P. L. Thuc, "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone IFAs operating in the DCS 1800 and UMTS bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3063-3074, 2006.
8. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, and R. D. Murch, "Isolation enhancement between two closely packed antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3411-3419, 2008.
9. Yang, C., J. Kim, and H. Kim, "Quad-band antenna with high isolation MIMO and broadband SCS for broadcasting and telecommunication services," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letter, Vol. 9, 584-587, 2010.
10. Chebihi, A., L. Cyril, and S. Robert, "A novel isolation technique for closely spaced PIFAs for UMTS mobile phones," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letter, Vol. 7, 665-668, 2008.
11. Wong, K. L., S. W. Su, and C. L. Tang, "Internal shorted patch antenna for a UMTS folder-type mobile phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 10, 3391-3394, 2005.
12. Chang, C. H. and K. L. Wong, "Internal coupled-fed shorted monopole Antenna for GSM850/900/1800/1900/UMTS operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3600-3604, Nov. 2008.
13. Carrasco, H., H. D. Hristov, R. Feick, and D. Cofre, "Mutual coupling between planar inverted-F antennas," Microwave Opt. Technol. Letter, Vol. 42, No. 3, 224-227, Aug. 15, 2004.
14. Sammuel, C. S. K. and R. D. Murch, "Compact integrated diversity antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 6, 954-960, Jun. 2001.
15. Karaboikis, M., C. Soras, G. Tsachtsiris, and V. Makios, "Compact dual-printed inverted-F antenna diversity systems for portable wireless devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letter, Vol. 3, 9-14, 2004.
16. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," IEE Electron. Letter, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, May 1, 2003.
17. Hallbjorner, P., "The significance of radiation effciencies when using S-parameterss to calculate the received signal correlation from two antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letter, Vol. 4, 97-99, 2005.
18., , Available at: http://www.semcad.com, SPEAG SEMCAD, Schmid and Partner Engineering AG..
19. Li, C. H., E. Ofli, N. Chavannes, and N. Kuste, "Effects of hand phantom on mobile phone antenna performance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2763-2770, Sep. 2009.
20., , IEEE recommended practice for determining the peak spatial-average specific absorption rate (SAR) in the human head from wireless communications devices: Measurement techniques, IEEE Standard 1528, IEEE Standards Coordinating Committee 34, Dec. 2003.