The frequency difference between signal-under-test and reference signal in phase demodulation will affect the result of the actual phase noise measurement. In order to eliminate the effect, an algorithm for both eliminating the frequency difference and extracting the phase noise of the signal-under-test is presented. Simulation and experiment results show that this algorithm is effective. By using the algorithm in our experiment, the noise floor of the measurement system is improved by 10.1 dB and 9.3 dB, respectively, and the measurement precision is improved from 90.03% to 96.31%. In addition, the use of this algorithm can lower the requirement on the frequency precision of reference source and reduce the cost of measurement system.
2. Demir, A. and J. Roychowdhury, "On the validity of orthogonally decomposed perturbations in phase noise analysis," Technical Memorandum, 1-13, Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, 1997.
3. Yousefi, S., T. Eriksson, and D. Kuylenstierna, "A novel model for simulation of RF oscillator phase noise," 2010 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 428-431, 2010.
4. Razavi, B., "Analysis, modeling, and simulation of phase noise in monolithic voltage-controlled oscillators," Proceedings of the IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, 323-326, 1995.
5. Chorti, A. and M. Brookes, "A spectral model for RF oscillators with power-law phase noise," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 53, No. 9, 1989-1999, 2006.
6. Kaertner, F. X., "Analysis of white and f -α noise in oscillators," International Journal of Circuit Theory and Application, 485-519, 1990.
7. Ward, P. and A. Duwel, "Oscillator phase noise: Systematic construction of an analytical model encompassing nonlinearity," IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 58, No. 1, 195-205, 2011.
8. Rizzoli, V., et al., "Harmonic-balance optimization of microwave oscillators for electrical performance, steady-state stability, and near-carrier phase noise," IEEE MTT- S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1401-1404, 1994.
9. Chen, J., F. Jonsson, and L. R. Zheng, "A fast and accurate phase noise measurement of free running oscillators using a single spectrum analyzer," 2010 IEEE Norchip Conferences, 1-4, 2010.
10. Angrisani, L., A. Baccigalupi, and M. D'Arco, "A new method for phase noise measurement," Proceedings of the 19th IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 663-668, Anchorage, AK, USA, 2002.
11. Salik, E., N. Yu, and L. Maleki, "Dual photonic-delay line cross correlation method for phase noise measurement," Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE International Frequency Control Symposium and Exposition, 303-306, 2004.
12. Rubiola, E., et al., "Photonic delay technique for phase noise measurement of microwave oscillators," Optics InfoBase JOSA B, Vol. 22, No. 5, 987-997, 2005.
13. Rubiola, E. and R. Boudot, "The effect of AM noise on correlation phase-noise measurements," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 54, No. 5, 926-932, 2007.
14. Stein, S. R., "Frequency and time: Their measurement and characterization," Precision Frequency Control, Vol. 2, 191-232, 1985.
15. Walls, F. L. and E. S. Ferre-Pikal, "Measurement of frequency, phase noise and amplitude noise," The Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 12, 459-473, 1999.
16. Gheidi, H. and A. Banai, "A new phase shifter-lee delay line method for phase noise measurement of microwave oscillators," Proceeding of the 38th European Microwave Conference, 325-328, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2008.
17. Lance, A., D. S. Wendell, and F. Labaar, "Phase noise and AM noise measurements in the frequency domain," Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 11, 239-289, 1984.
18. Ni, J., X. M. Zhang, S. L. Zheng, X. F. Jin, H. Chi, and X. M. Zhang, "Microwave frequency measurement based on phase modulation to intensity modulation conversion using fiber bragg grating," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 755-764, 2011.
19. Handel, P., "Properties of the IEEE-STD-1057 four-parameter sine wave fit algorithm," IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 49, No. 6, 1189-1193, 2000.