The effect of graded permittivity profiles, filling factor and incident angles on the dispersion characteristics and reflectivity of binary one dimensional plasma photonic crystals having linearly graded dielectric materials are investigated by using the transfer matrix method. It is observed that position, width of band gap and high reflectance range can be improvised to desired level by proper choice of filling factor and graded permittivity index. The incident angle is found to affect the band gap and high reflectance range. Our analysis also shows that this plasma photonic crystal may be used for sensing applications.
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattice," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486-2489, 1987.
3. Goncharov, A. A., A. V. Zatuagan, and I. M. Protsenko, "Focusing and control of multiaperture ion beams by plasma lenses," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 21, No. 5, 578-581, 1993.
4. Dwyer, J. G., D. Murphy, J. Perin, R. Pechacek, and M. Raleigh, "On the feasibility of using an atmospheric discharge plasma as an RF antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 32, No. 2, 141-146, 1984.
5. Vidmar, R. J., "On the use of atmospheric pressure plasmas as electromagnetic reflectors and absorbers," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 18, No. 4, 733-741, 1990.
6. Hojo, H. and A. Mase, "Dispersion relation of electromagnetic waves in one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals," J. Plasma Fusion Res., Vol. 80, 89-90, 2004.
7. Shiveshwari, L. and P. Mahto, "Photonic band gap effect in one-dimensional plasma dielectric photonic crystals," Solid State Commun., Vol. 138, 160-164, 2006.
8. Sakai, O., T. Sakaguchi, and K. Tachibana, "Verification of a plasma photonic crystal for microwaves of millimeter wavelength range using two-dimensional array of columnar microplasmas," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 87, 241505-241505-3, 2005.
9. Song, L., Z. Shuangying, and L. Sanqiu, "A study of properties of the photonic band gap of unmagnetized plasma photonic crystal," Plasma Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 1, 14-17, 2009.
10. Qi, L. and Z. Yang, "Modified plane wave method analysis of dielectric plasma photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 319-332, 2009.
11. Qi, L. , Z. Yang, F. Lan, X. Gao, and Z. Shi, "Properties of obliquely incident electromagnetic wave in one-dimensional magnetized plasma photonic crystals," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 17, 042501, 2010.
12. Guo, B., "Photonic band gap structures of obliquely incident electromagnetic wave propagation in a one-dimension absorptive plasma photonic crystal," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 16, 043508-043508-6, 2009.
13. Prasad, S., V. Singh, and A. K. Singh, "Modal propagation characteristics of EM waves in ternary one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals," Optik, International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol. 121, No. 16, 1520-1528, 2010.=.
14. Prasad, S., V. Singh, and A. K. Singh, "A comparative study of dispersion relation of EM waves in ternary one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals having two different structures," Optik, International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol. 122, 1279-1283, 2011.
15. Nino, M., T. Hirai, R. Watanabe, and , "The functionally gradient materials," J. Jpn. Soc. Compos. Mater., Vol. 13, 257-260, 1987.
16. Suresh, S. and A. Mortensen, "Fundamentals of functionally graded materials," IOM Communications Ltd., The Institute of Materials, London, 1998.
17. Hui, P. M., X. Zhang, A. J. Markworth, and D. Stroud, "Thermal conductivity of graded composites: Numerical simulations and an e®ective medium approximation," J. Mater. Science, Vol. 34, 5497-5503, 1999.
18. Huang, J. P. and K. W. Yu, "Effective nonlinear optical properties of graded metal-dielectric composite films of anisotropic particles," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 22, 1640-1647, 2005.
19. Gao, L., J. P. Huang, and K. W. Yu, "Effective nonlinear optical properties of composite media of graded spherical particles," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 69, 075105-075113, 2004.
20. Sang, Z. F. and Z. Y. Li, "Optical properties of one-dimensional photonic crystals containing graded materials," Optics Communications, Vol. 259, 174-178, 2006.
21. Sang, Z. F. and Z. Y. Li, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals containing a graded defect layer," Optics Communications, Vol. 273, 162-166, 2007.
22. Prasad, S., V. Singh, and A. K. Singh, "Modeling of a filter from one-dimensional plasma photonic crystal having exponentially graded material in submillimeter range," Journal of Optics Research, Vol. 12, No. 3-4, Article 2, 2011.
23. Prasad, S., V. Singh, and A. K. Singh, "Effect of inhomogeneous plasma density on the re°ectivity in one dimensional plasma photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 211-222, 2011.
24. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Applied Mathematics Series, 55, National Bureau of Standard, 1964.
25. Yeh, P., "Optical Waves in Layered Media," Wiley-Interscience, 2005.