The present work is motivated by our recent experimental results [2-4] that indicate on anomalously small retardation of bound (or velocity-dependent) electromagnetic (EM) fields in the near zone of an emitter, whereas in the far zone the retardation tends to the standard value determined by the velocity of light c. Such anomaly is specific only for bound field component, while EM radiation has the constant propagation velocity c in the entire space. One possible explanation of these experimental results can be linked to our earlier finding [6, 8] that conventional EM energy-momentum (EMEM) tensor describes bound and radiative EM fields only in spatial regions free of charges and currents. In this work we show that an additional term has to be included into the standard EMEM tensor in order to make viable the description of the whole system of ``charges plus fields". Such approach to the EMEM tensor actually admits anomalously small retardation of bound EM fields in regions very close to a field source, providing the standard propagation in the far zone. Some special implications are also discussed.
2. Kholmetskii, A. L. , O. V. Missevitch, R. Smirnov-Rueda, R. Ivanov, and A. E. Chubykalo, "Experimental test on the applicability of the standard retardation condition to bound magnetic fields," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 101, No. 2, 023532, 2007.
3. Kholmetskii, A. L. , O. V. Missevitch, and R. Smirnov-Rueda, "Measurement of propagation velocity of bound electromagnetic fields in near zone," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 102, 013529, 2007.
4. Missevitch, O. V., A. L. Kholmetskii, and R. Smirnov-Rueda, "Anomalously small retardation of bound (force) electromagnetic fields in antenna near zone," Europhys. Let., Vol. 93, 64004, 2011.
5. Landau, L. D. and E. M. Lifshitz, The Classical Theory of Fields, Addison-Wesley, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1951.
6. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Wiley, New York, 1990.
7. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 1997.
8. Sten, J. C.-E. and A. Hujanen, "Aspects on the phase delay and phase velocity in the electromagnetic near field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 67-80, 2006.
9. Kholmetskii, A. L., "On `gauge renormalization' in classical electrodynamics," Found. Phys., Vol. 36, 715, 2006.
10. Kholmetskii, A. L., O. V. Missevitch, and T. Yarman, "Continuity equations for bound electromagnetic field and the electromagnetic energy-momentum tensor," Phys. Scr., Vol. 83, 055406, 2011.
11. Kholmetskii, A. L., "Gauge renormalization in classical electrodynamics: Phenomenological description of the classical electron," Found. Phys. Lett., Vol. 19, 695, 2006.
12. Weinberg, S., The Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. 1, Foundations, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1995.
13. Field, J. H., "Quantum electrodynamics and experiment demonstrate the nonretarded nature of electrodynamical force fields," Physics of Particles and Nuclei Letters, Vol. 6, 320, 2009.