We introduce an electromagnetic investigation of the complex experimental setup used in studying the Ratchet Effect at low We introduce an electromagnetic investigation of the complex experimental setup used in studying the Ratchet Effect at low temperature. This investigation, based on intensive electromagnetic simulations, shows that a compromise has to be taken into consideration between the physical aspects, the technological and the practical restrictions as well as the electromagnetic conditions of the observed phenomenon. By improving the electromagnetic response of the whole system, the Ratchet induced photovoltage can be increased, and hence the Ratchet device can be used for practical applications in wireless communications.
2. Sassine, S., "Transport electronique controle par micro-ondes dans des microstructures asymetriques: Effet ratchet mesoscopique,", Ph.D. Dissertation, University Toulouse, France, 2007.
3. Sassine, S., Y. Krupko, J.-C. Portal, Z. D. Kvon, R. Murali, K. P. Martin, G. Hill, and A. D. Wieck, "Experimental investigation of the ratchet effect in a two-dimensional electron system with broken spatial inversion symmetry," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 78, No. 4, 045431.1-045431.5, 2008.
4. Sassine, S., Y. Krupko, E. B. Olshanetsky, Z. D. Kvon, J. C. Portal, J. M. Hartmann, and J. Zhang, "Microwave radiation induced collective response in Si/SiGe heterostructures with a 2D electron gas," Solid State Communications, Vol. 142, No. 11, 631-633, 2007.
5. Bisotto, I., E. S. Kannan, S. Sassine, R. Murali, T. J. Beck, L. Jal- abert, and J.-C. Portal, "Microwave based nanogenerator using the ratchet effect in Si/SiGe heterostructures," Nanotechnology Journal, Vol. 22, No. 24, 245401.1-245401.6, 2011.
6. Kannan, E. S., I. Bisotto, J.-C. Portal, R. Murali, and T. J. Beck, "Photovoltage induced by ratchet effect in Si/SiGe heterostructures under microwave irradiation," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, No. 19, 193505.1-193505.3, 2011.
7. Chepelianskii, A. D., M. V. Entin, L. I. Magarill, and D. L. She- pelyansky, "Photogalvanic current in artificial asymmetric nanostructures," Eur. Phys. J. B, Vol. 56, No. 4, 323-333, 2007.
8. Drexler, C., V. V. Bel'kov, B. Ashkinadze, P. Olbrich, C. Zoth, V. Lechner, Y. V.Terent'ev, D. R. Yakovlev, G. Karczewski, T. Wojtowicz, D. Schuh, W. Wegscheider, and S. D. Ganichev, "Spin polarized electric currents in semiconductor heterostructures induced by microwave radiation," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 18, 182107.1-182107.3, 2010.
9. Weber, W., L. E. Golub, S. N. Danilov, J. Karch, C. Reit- maier, B. Wittmann, V. V. Bel'kov, E. L. Ivchenko, Z. D. Kvon, N. Q. Vinh, A. F. G. van der Meer, B. Murdin, and S. D. Ganicheva, "Quantum ratchet effects induced by terahertz radiation in GaN-based two-dimensional structures," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, No. 24, 245304.12-245304.1, 2008.
10. Olbrich, P., E. L. Ivchenko, R. Ravash, T. Feil, S. D. Danilov, J. Allerdings, D. Weiss, D. Schuh, W. Wegscheider, and S. D. Ganichev, "Ratchet Effects induced by terahertz radiation in heterostructures with a lateral periodic potential," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 103, No. 9, 090603.1-090603.4, 2009.
11. Chepelianskii, A. D. and D. L. Shepelyansky, "Directing transport by polarized radiation in the presence of chaos and dissipation," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 71, No. 5, 052508.1-052508.4, 2005.
12. Chepelianskii, A. D., M. V. Entin, L. I. Magarill, and D. L. Shepelyansky, "Ratchet transport of interacting particles," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 78, No. 4, 041127.1-041127.8, 2008.
13. Ait-Haddou, R. and W. Herzog, "Brownian Ratchet models of molecular motors," Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, Vol. 38, No. 2, 191-213, 2003.
14. Linke, H., B. J. Aleman, L. D. Melling, M. J. Taormina, M. J. Francis, C. C. Dow-Hygelund, V. Narayanan, P. Taylor, and A. Stout, "Self-propelled leidenfrost droplets," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 96, No. 15, 154502.1-154502.4, 2006.
15. Song, A. M., "Electron ratchet effect in semiconductor devices and artificial materials with broken centrosymmetry," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 75, No. 2, 229-235, 2002.
16. Medhat, D., A. Takacs, and H. Aubert, "Optimum position of the two-dimensional electron gas sample in the cryogenic metallic cavity system used in studying Ratchet Effect," Proceedings of the European Microwave Conference EuMC, 964-967, Manchester, Oct. 2011.
17., , Ansoft HFSS v.12, www.ansoft.com..
18. Medhat, D., A. Takacs, H. Aubert, and J.-C. Portal, "Comparative analysis of different techniques for controlling Ratchet Effect in a periodic array of asymmetric antidots," Proceedings of the Asia Pacific Microwave Conference APMC, 1711-1714, Singapore, Dec. 2009.
19. Takacs, A., D. Medhat, H. Aubert, and J. C. Portal, "Electromagnetic analysis of the experimental setup used to investigate the Ratchet Effect in two-dimensional electron system under microwave radiation," Proceedings of the International Semiconductor Conference CAS, Vol. 1, No. 10, 337-340, Sinaia, Oct. 2009.
20. Takacs, A., D. Medhat, H. Aubert, and J.-C. Portal, "A method for estimating the electromagnetic power delivered by the front-end module used to investigate the Ratchet E®ect in two- dimensional electron gas system under microwave radiation," Proceedings of the European Microwave Conference EuMC, 1560-1563, Sep. 2010.
21. Medhat, D., A. Takacs, H. Aubert, and J.-C. Portal, "Investigation of the metallic cavity influence on the electromagnetic behavior of the setup used in studying the ratchet effect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Abstracts, 452-453, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.