This paper deals with the evaluation of the electric and magnetic field generated by a set of N periodically distributed filamentary conductors, in a circular arrangement. The results obtained lead to the computation of a continuous product of distances. In close connection with the computation of such a continuous product, the general problem of the factorization of a sum or difference of two powers, aN±bN, where a and b are positive real numbers and N a positive integer, is addressed.
2. Diananda, P., "On integers expressible as a sum of two powers," Proc. Japan Acad., Vol. 43, 417-419, 1967.
3. Penney, D., "Multiplication relation for series of initial kth powers," Amer. Math. Monthly, Vol. 92, 729-731, 1985.
4. Gessel, I., "A formula for power series," Amer. Math. Monthly, Vol. 95, 961-962, 1988.
5. Owes, R., "Series of powers of integers," Math. Magazine, Vol. 65, 38-40, 1992.
6. Tuenter, H., "The Frobenius problem, sums of powers of integers, and recurrence for the Bernoulli numbers," J. Number Theory, Vol. 117, 376-386, 2006.
7. Shirali, S., "On sums of powers of integers," Resonance, Vol. 12, 27-43, 2007.
8. Gluck, F., "Axysymmetric electric field calculation with zonal harmonic expansion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 32, 319-350, 2011.
9. Gluck, F., "Axysymmetric magnetic field calculation with zonal harmonic expansion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 32, 351-388, 2011.
10. Faria, J., V. Machado, and D. van Dommelen, "Comparison of zeroth-order and harmonic expansion calculation of the electrostatic parameters of three-conductor bundles," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 81, 488-494, 2011.
11. Machado, V., M. Pedro, J. Faria, and D. van Dommelen, "Magnetic field analysis of three-conductor bundles in flat and triangular configurations with the inclusion of proximity and skin effects," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 81, 2005-2014, 2011.
12. Solymar, L., Lectures on Electromagnetic Theory, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1984.
13. Faria, J., Electromagnetic Foundations of Electrical Engineering, Wiley, Chichester, UK, 2008.
14. Spiegel, M. and L. Rapun, Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables, McGraw-Hill, New York, USA, 1970.
15. Gonzalez-Morales, M. J., R. Mahillo-Isla, E. Gago-Ribas, and C. Dehesa-Martinez, "Complex polar coordinates in electromagnetics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 389-398, 2011.
16. Wiles, A., "Modular elliptic curves and Fermat's last theorem," Annals of Mathematics, Vol. 141, 443-551, 1995.
17. Barros, M., "Computation of line parameters," European EMTP Short Course, Belgium, Jul.-Aug. 1984.