The focusing properties of six array configurations in the form of square, square with interlaced elements, square ring, cross (+) shape, cross (X) shape, and square ring plus diagonals shape arrays are investigated. The performance parameters, such as field distribution in the focal region, size of the focal spot, depth of field, level of field at focal point, and sidelobe structure, are compared. Computer simulations using MTALAB environment are performed in the investigations. The square ring and square ring plus diagonals configurations show favorable focusing properties. The resultant field patterns will help to find the arrays usefulness for hyperthermia and imaging applications.
2. Daniels, D. J., Ground Penetrating Radar, 2nd Edition, IET, 2004.
3. Anderson, A. P., et al., "Feasibility of focused microwave array system for tumor irradiation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 15, No. 1, 564-565, 1979.
4. Durney, C. H. and M. F. Iskandar, "Antennas for medical applications," Antenna Hand Book: Theory, Applications, and Design, Ch. 24, Van Nostrand, New York, 1988.
5. Loane, J. T. and S. Lee, "Gain optimization of a near-field focusing array for hyperthermia applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, 1629-1635, Oct. 1989.
6. Iero, D., Isernia, T., and A. F. Morabito, "Optimal constrained field focusing for hyperthermia cancer therapy: A feasibility assessment on realistic phantoms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 125-141, 2010.
7. McSpaddan, J. O. and J. C. Mankins, "Space solar power programs and microwave wireless power transmission technology," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 4, 46-57, Dec. 2002.
8. Bennett, J. C., et al., "A novel radar array and its imaging properties," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 27, No. 4, 567-574, 1979.
9. Ismail, M. S. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Investigation of three array geometries for focused array hyperthermia," Proceedings of ISAP ’92, Sapporo, Japan, 1992.
10. Karimkashi, S. and A. A. Kishk, "Focused microstrip array antenna using a Dolph Chebyshev near-field design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3813-3820, Dec. 2009.
11. Buffi, A., A. A. Serra, P. Nepa, H-.T. Chou, and G. Manara, "A focused planar microstrip array for 2.4GHz RFID readers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1536-1544, May 2010.
12. Guo, T. C., et al., "A local field study of a water-immersed microwave antenna array for medical imagery and therapy," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 32, No. 8, 844-854, 1984.
13. Sherman, J. W., "Properties of focused aperture in the Fresnel region," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 399-408, Jul. 1962.
14. Graham, W. J., "Analysis: And synthesis of axial field patterns of focused apertures," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 4, Jul. 1983.