The shaping of dispersion characteristics in a variant of discloaded circular waveguide was studied through electromagnetic analysis for assessing the structure for wideband coalescence of the beam- and waveguide-mode dispersion characteristics that entails the wideband gyrotravelling-wave tube (gyro-TWT) performance. In this variant of disc-loaded circular waveguide, the alternate disc-hole radii were varying, however, the structure was periodic. The structure periodicity coupled with Floquet's theorem and field-matching technique resulted into the dispersion relation of the infinitely long structure. A numerical code was developed to solve the dispersion relation, and the dispersion characteristics of the structure were analyzed for the azimuthally symmetric TE-modes. The effects of structure parameters were studied for getting a straight-line portion of the dispersion characteristics over a wide frequency range. The dispersion shaping was projected for typically chosen TE01-mode. The results were validated against those obtained for the conventional and un-conventional known structures and those obtained using commercially available simulation tool. The variation of azimuthal electric field intensity over the radial coordinate was also studied to examine the control of structure parameter for maximaposition, where the gyrating electron beam would be positioned for optimum beam-wave interaction in a gyro-TWT.
2. Dehdasht-Heydari, R. , H. R. Hassani, and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "A new 2-18 GHz quad-ridged horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 183-195, 2008.
3. Dai, , G. L. and M. Y. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010.
4. Yang, M. H., J. Xu, Q. Zhao, L. Peng, G. P. Li, "Compact, broad-stopband lowpass filters using sirs-loaded circular hairpin resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 95-106, 2010.
5. Chiou, Y.-C., P.-S. Yang, J.-T. Kuo, and C.-Y.Wu, "Transmission zero design graph for dual-mode dual-band filter with periodic stepped-impedance ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 23-36, 2010.
6. Butt, H., Q. Dai, T. D. Wilkinson, and G. A. J. Amaratunga, "Photonic crystals & metamaterial filters based on 2D arrays of silicon nanopillars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 179-194, 2011.
7. Wu, C.-J., Y.-H. Chung, B.-J. Syu, and T.-J. Yang, "Band gap extension in a one-dimensional ternary metal-dielectric photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 81-93, 2010.
8. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, K. Song, and Z. Zhang, "A novel multi-band electromagnetic band-gap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,, Vol. 9, 67-74, 2009.
9. Jandieri, V., K. Yasumoto, and Y.-K. Cho, "Rigorous analysis of electromagnetic scattering by cylindrical EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 317-342, 2011.
10. Escorcia-Garcia, J. and M. E. Mora-Ramos, "Study of optical propagation in hybrid periodic/quasiregular structures based on porous silicon," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 2, 167-170, 2009.
11. Wei, S., Y. Lin, and T. Higo, "A new method for dispersion curves of HOM in periodical axisymmetric accelerating structures," Proc. 2nd Asian Particle Accelerator Conf., 153-155, Beijing, China, 2001.
12. Hu, Y. , C. Tang, H. Chen, Y. Lin, and D. Tong, "An X-band disk and washer accelerating structure for electron accelerators," Proc. Particle Accelerator Conf., 975-977, Chicago, 2001.
13. Amin, M. R. and K. Ogura, "Dispersion characteristics of a rectangularly corrugated cylindrical slow-wave structure driven by a non-relativistic annular electron beam," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 3, 575-579, 2007.
14. Ding, S., B. Jia, F. Li, and Z. Zhu, "3D Simulation of 18-vane 5.8 GHz magnetron," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1925-1930, 2008.
15. Malek, F., "The analytical design of a folded waveguide traveling wave tube and small signal gain analysis using Madey's theorem," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 137-162, 2009.
16. Mulcahy, T., H. Song, and F. Francisco, "New method of integrating periodic permanent magnet (PPM) assembly in traveling wave tubes (TWTs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 10, 187-199, 2009.
17. Jain, P. K. and B. N. Basu, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through helical structures," Electromagnetic Fields in Unconven-tional Materials, O. N. Singh and A. Lakhtakia, Ed., John Wiley & Sons, USA, 2000.
18. Hou, Y., J. Xu, H.-R. Yin, Y.-Y. Wei, L.-N. Yue, G. Zhao, and Y.-B. Gong, "Equivalent circuit analysis of ridge-loaded folded-waveguide slow-wave structures for millimeter-wave traveling-wave tubes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 215-229, 2012.
19. Liu, Y., J. Xu, Y.-Y. Wei, X. Xu, F. Shen, M. Huang, T. Tang, W.-X. Wang, Y.-B. Gong, and J. Feng, "Design of a V-band high-power sheet-beam coupled-cavity traveling-wave tube," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 31-45, 2012.
20. Jerby, E. and G. Bekefi, "Cyclotron maser experiments in a periodic wave guide," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 48, No. 6, 4637-4641, 1993.
21. Chu, K. R., "The electron cyclotron maser," Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 76, No. 2, 489-540, May 2004.
22. Barroso, J. J., R. A. Correa, and P. J. de Castro, "Gyrotron coaxial cylindrical resonators with corrugated inner conductor: Theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 46, No. 9, 1221-1230, Sep. 1998.
23. Zaginaylov, G. I. and I. V. Mitina, "Electromagnetic analysis of coaxial gyrotron cavity with the inner conductor having corrugations of an arbitrary shape," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 31, 339-356, 2011.
24. Thumm, M., "State-of-the-art of high-power gyro-devices and free electron masers, update 2011,", Scientific Report KITSR 7606,Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany, Jan. 2012.
25. Singh, G., "Analytical study of the interaction structure of vane-loaded gyro-traveling wave tube amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 41-66, 2008.
26. Qiu, C. R., Z. B. Ouyang, S. C. Zhang, H. B. Zhang, and J. B. Jin, "Self-consistent nonlinear investigation of an outer-slotted-coaxial waveguide gyrotron traveling-wave amplifier," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 33, No. 3, 1013-1018, Jun. 2005.
27. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analytical approaches to a disc loaded cylindrical waveguide for potential application in wideband gyro-TWTs," EEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 32, No. 5, 2144-2151, Oct. 2004.
28. Kesari, V., Analysis of Disc-loaded Circular Waveguides for Wideband Gyro-TWTs, LAP | Lambert Academic Publishing AG & Co., Germany, 2009, (ISBN: 978-3-8383-1145-6).
29. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of a circular waveguide loaded with thick annular metal discs for wideband gyro-TWTs," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 33, No. 4, 1358-1365, Aug. 2005.
30. Kesari, V., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of a disc-loaded circular waveguide for interaction impedance of a gyrotron amplifier," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 26, No. 8, 1093-1110, Aug. 2005.
31. Kesari, V., "Beam-absent analysis of disc-loaded-coaxial waveguide for its application in gyro-TWT (Part-1)," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 109, 211-227, 2010.
32. Kesari, V., "Beam-present analysis of disc-loaded-coaxial waveguide for its application in gyro-TWT (Part-2)," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 109, 229-243, 2010.
33. Yue, L., W. Wang, Y. Wei, and Y. Gong, "Approach to a coaxial arbitrary-shaped groove cylindrical waveguide for application in wideband gyro-TWTs," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 35, No. 3, 551-558, Jun. 2007.
34. Kesari, V. , P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Modeling of axially periodic circular waveguide with combined dielectric and metal loading," J. Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 38, 3523-3529, Sep. 2005.
35. Kesari, V. and J. P. Keshari, "Analysis of a circular Analysis of a circular," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 111, 253-269, 2011.
36. Choe, J. Y. and H. S. Uhm, "Theory of gyrotron amplifiers in disc or helix loaded waveguides," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 6, 729-741, Jun. 1982.
37. Leou, K. C., T. Pi, D. B. Mcdermott, and N. C. Luhmann Jr., "Circuit design for a wideband disc loaded gyro-TWT amplifier," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 26, No. 3, 488-495, Jun. 1998.
38. Denisov, G. G., V. L. Bratman, A. W. Cross, W. He, A. D. R. Phelps, K. Ronald, S. V. Samsonov, and C. G. Whyte, "Gyrotron traveling wave amplifier with a helical interaction waveguide," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 81, No. 25, 5680-5683, Dec. 1998.
39. Rao, S. J., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Hybrid-mode helix-loading Hybrid-mode helix-loading," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 82, No. 6, 663-675, Jun. 1997.
40. Rao, S. J., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Broadbanding of gyro-TWT by dielectric-loading through dispersion shaping," IEEE Trans. on Electron Dev., Vol. 43, No. 12, 2290-2299, Dec. 1996.