In the present communication, we have theoretically investigated and studied the reflection properties of one-dimensional birefringent-dielectric photonic crystal (1D BDPC) structure consisting alternate layers of BD material. From the analysis of the reflectance spectra it is found that 100% reflection region for both TE- and TM-mode can be enhanced significantly in comparison with 1D dielectric-dielectric photonic crystal (DDPC). In order to obtain the reflection spectra of the proposed structure we have used the transfer matrix method (TMM). The structure proposed by us, has a wider omnidirectional reflection (ODR) range in comparison to conventional all dielectric photonic crystals (PCs). The width of ODR can be enlarged by considering the suitable choice of lattice parameters.
1. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, "Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light," Princeton University Press, 1995.
2. Kumar, V., K. S. Singh, S. K. Singh, and S. P. Ojh, "Broad-ening of omni-directional reflection range in 1-d photonic crystal by using photonic quantum well structures," Optik --- International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, 2011, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030402611005651.
3. Ouchani, N. , D. Bria, B. Djafari Rouhani, and A. Nougaoui, "A birefringent reflector from a 1D anisotropic photonic crystal," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter., Vol. 21, 485401-485410, 2009. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/21/48/485401
4. Chigrin, D. N., "Omnidirectional bragg mirror," Electromagnetic Waves Propagation in Photonic Crystals with Incomplete Photonic Band Gap, 62-75, Thesis, University of Wuppertal, 2003.
5. Guida, G., A. de Lustrac, and A. Priou, "An introduction to photonic band gap (PBG) materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 1-20, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER02010801
6. Srivastava, R., K. B. Thapa, S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Omni-direction reflection in one dimensional photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 133-143, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08020601
7. Singh, S. K., J. P. Pandey, K. B. Thapa, and S. P. Ojha, "Structural parameters in the formation of omnidirectional high reflectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 53-78, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010501
8. Srivastava, R., S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional reflection in photonic crystal heterostructures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 197-208, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102903
9. Awasthi, S. K., U. Malaviya, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional total-reflection wavelength range by using one-dimensional ternary photonic bandgap material," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, 2566-2571, 2006. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.23.002566
10. Winn, , J. N., Y. Fink, S. Fan, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Omnidirectional re°ection from a one-dimensional photonic crystal," Opt. Lett., Vol. 23, 1573-1575, 1998. doi:10.1364/OL.23.001573
11. Chigrin, D. N., A. V. Lavrinenko, D. A. Yarotsky, and S. V. Gaponenko, "Observation of total omnidirectional from a one-dimensional dielectric lattice," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 68, 25-28, 1999. doi:10.1007/s003390050849
12. Srivastava, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Omnidirectional reflection bands in one-dimensional PC structure using fullerene fllms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 181-194, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07050202
13. Wang, X., X. Hu, Y. Li, W. Jia, C. Xu, X. Liu, and J. Zi, "Enlargement of omnidirectional total reflection frequency range in one-dimensional photonic crystals by using heterostructures," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 80, 4291-4293, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1484547
14. Perez, E. X. , L. F. Marsal, J. Pallares, and J. F. Borrull, "Porous silicon mirrors with enlarged omnidirectional bandgap," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 97, 064503-1-064503-5, 2005.
15. Banerjee, D, M, and Zhang, "Quarter-wave design criteria for omnidirectional structural colors," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 57, 1180-1188, 2010. doi:10.1080/09500340.2010.506956
16. Wu, C.-J., Y.-C. Hsieh, and H.-T. Hsu, "Tunable photonic band gap in a doped semiconductor photonic crystal in near infrared region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 271-283, 2011.
17. Kumar, N. and S. P. Ojha, "Photonic crystals as infrared broadband reflectors with different angles of incidence: A comparative study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 431-445, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07120502
18. Banerjee, A., "Enhanced refractometric optical sensing by using one-dimensional ternary photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 11-22, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08112105
19. Wu, C.-J. and Z.-H. Wang, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 169-184, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10031706
20. Awasthi, S. K., U. Malaviya, S. P. Ojha, N. K. Mishra, and B. Singh, "Design of a tunable polarizer using a one-dimensional nano sized photonic bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 133-152, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021004
21. Wu, C.-J., Y.-H. Chung, B.-J. Syu, and T.-J. Yang, "Band gap extension in a one-dimensional ternary metal-dielectric photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 81-93, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10012004
23. Cojocaru, E., "Forbidden gaps in periodic anisotropic layered media," Appl. Opt., Vol. 39, 4641-4648, 2000. doi:10.1364/AO.39.004641
24. Awasthi, S. K., U. Malaviya, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional high-reflection wavelength range in one-dimensional ternary periodic structures: A comparative study," J. Nanophotonics, Vol. 2, 023505, 2008. doi:10.1117/1.2909452
25. Orfanidis, S. J., "Multilayer film applications," Electromagnetic Waves and Antennas, 193-194, 2008,www.ece.rutgers.edu/»orfanidi/ewa.
26. Macleod, H. A., "Basic theory," Thin-film Optical Filters, 32-43, Adam Hilger Ltd., Bristol, 1986.
27. Ye, Y.-H., G. Bader, and V.-V. Truong, "Low-loss one-dimensional metallodielectric photonic crystals fabricated by metallic insertions in a multilayer dielectric structure," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 77, 235-237, 2000, doi:10.1063/1.126935. doi:10.1063/1.126935
28. El-Kady, I., M. M. Sigalas, R. Biswas, K. M. Ho, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Metallic photonic crystals at optical wavelengths," Phy. Rev. B, Vol. 62, 15299-15302, 2000, doi:10.1063/1.126935. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.62.15299