Thermal non-destructive testing and evaluation of glass fibre reinforced plastic materials has gained more importance in aerospace industry due to low weight and high strength capabilities in severe environmental conditions. More recently, pulse compression favorable non-stationary excitation schemes have been exhibiting reliable defect detection capabilities in infrared non-destructive testing. This paper introduces a novel infrared non-destructive testing method based on quadratic frequency modulated thermal wave imaging with pulse compression for charactierization of glass fibre reinforced plastic materials. Defect detection capability of the proposed method has been experimentally validated using a glass fiber reinforced plastic (GFRP) sample with embedded Teflon inserts. Experimental results proved the enhanced depth resolution capability of the proposed excitation method as compared to the linear frequency modulation with pulse compression.
2. Busse, G., D. Wu, and W. Karpen, "Thermal wave imaging with phase sensitive modulated thermography," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 71, No. 8, 3962-3965, 1992.
3. Maldague, X., Y. Largouet, and J. P. Couturier, "Depth study in Pulsed phase thermography using neural networks: Modelling, noise, experiments," Revue Generale de Thermique, Vol. 37, 704-708, 1998.
4. Mulaveesala, R. and S. Tuli, "Theory of frequency modulated thermal wave imaging for nondestructive subsurface defect detection," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 89, 191913, 2006.
5. Mulaveesala, R., V. J. Somayajulu, and P. Singh, "Pulse compression approach to infrared non destructive characterization," Rev. Sci. Instru., Vol. 79, No. 9, 094901, 2008.
6. Tabatabaei, N., A. Mandelis, and B. T. Amaechi, "Thermo photonic radar imaging: an emissivity-normalized modality with advantages over phase lock-in thermography," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, No. 16, 163706, 2011.
7. Ghali, V. S. and N. Jonnalagadda R. Mulaveesala, "Three dimentional pulse compression for infraed non destructive testing," IEEE Sensors, Vol. 9, No. 7, 832-833, 2009.
8. Mulaveesala, R. and V. S. Ghali, "Coded excitation for infrared non-destructive testing of carbon fiber reinforced plastics," Rev. Sci. Instru., Vol. 82, No. 5, 054902, 2011.
9. Cook, C. E. and J. Paolillo, "A pulse compression predistortion function for efficient sidelobe reduction in a high-power radar," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 52, No. 4, 377-389, 1964.
10. Ramp, H. O. and E. R. Wingrove, "Principles of pulse compression," IRE Transactions on Military Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 2, 109-116, 1961.
11. Liu, J. Y., W. Yang, and J. M. Dai, "Research on thermal wave processing of lock-in thermography based on analyzing image sequences for NDT," Infrared Physics & Technology, Vol. 53, No. 5, 348-357, 2010.
12. Carslaw, H. S. and J. C. Jaeger, "Conduction of Heat in Solids," Oxford Clarendon Press, London, 1959.
13. Tabatabaei, N. and A. Mandelis, "Thermal-wave radar: A novel subsurface imaging modality with extended depth-resolution dynamic range," Rev. Sci. Instru., Vol. 80, No. 3, 034902, 2009.