In this paper, a chiral metamaterial (CMM) with complementary U-shaped structure assembly is proposed. The microwave experimental and simulated results of the proposed complementary structure exhibit giant optical activity. The experimental results are in good agreement with the numerical ones. The retrieval results reveal that negative refractive indices for right-handed and left-handed circularly polarized waves could be easily realized due to strong chirality. The mechanism of the chiral behaviors of resonance frequencies will be illustrated by simulated current distributions. Further, the complementary U-shaped structure assembly also exhibits stronger circular dichroism, giant optical activity, and negative index at near-infrared region by simulations.
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Smith D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
3. Shelby , R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
5. Schurig, , D., , J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1133628
6. Ziolkowski, R. W. and A. Erentok, "Metamaterial-based efficient electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antenn. and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2113-2130, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.877179
7. Mirza, I. O., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Phase modulation using dual split ring resonators," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 7, 5089-5097, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.005089
8. Zhang, S., W. Fan, K. J. Malloy, S. R. Brueck, N. C. Panoiu, and R. M. Osgood, "Near-infrared double negative metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, No. 13, 4922-4930, 2005. doi:10.1364/OPEX.13.004922
9. Shalaev, V. M., W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar, H. K. Yuan, A. K. Sarychev, V. P. Drachev, and A. V. Kildishev, "Negative index of refraction in optical metamaterials," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 3356-3358, 2005. doi:10.1364/OL.30.003356
10. Paul, O., C. Imhof, B. Reinhard, R. Zengerle, and R. Beigang, "Negative index bulk metamaterial at terahertz frequencies," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 9, 6736-6744, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.006736
11. Tretyakov, S., I. Nefedov, A. Sihvola, S. Maslovski, and C. Simovski, "Waves and energy in chiral nihility," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 695-706, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322226356
13. Rogacheva, A. V. , V. A. Fedotov, A. S. Schwanecke, and N. I. Zheludev, "\Giant gyrotropy due to electromagnetic-field coupling in a bilayered chiral structure," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 17, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.97.177401
14. Liu, H., D. A. Genov, D. M. Wu, Y. M. Liu, Z. W. Liu, C. Sun, S. N. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "Magnetic plasmon hybridization and optical activity at optical frequencies in metallic nanostructures," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 76, No. 7, 073101(4), 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.76.073101
15. Li, , T. Q., H. Liu, T. Li, S. M. Wang, F. M. Wang, R. X. Wu, P. Chen, S. N. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "Magnetic resonance hybridization and optical activity of microwaves in a chiral metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 13, 131111(3), 2008.
16. Decker, , M., S. Linden, M. Wegener, "Coupling effects in low-symmetry planar split-ring resonator arrays," Opt. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 10, 1579-1581, 2009. doi:10.1364/OL.34.001579
17. Wang, B., T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Wide-angle and polarization-independent chiral metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 80, No. 3, 033108, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.80.033108
18. Singh, R. J., E. Plum, W. L. Zhang, and N. I. Zheludev, "Highly tunable optical activity in planar achiral terahertz metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 13, 13425-13430, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.013425
19. Wang, B. , T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials: Simulations and experiments," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 11, 114003(1), 2009.
20. Zhang, S., Y.-S. Park, J. Li, X. Lu, W. Zhang, and X. Zhang, "Negative refractive index in chiral metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, No. 2, 023901(4), 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.102.023901
21. Plum, E., J. Zhou, J. Dong, V. A. Fedotov, T. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterial with negative index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, No. 3, 035407(6), 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.79.035407
22. Zhou, J., J. Dong, B. Wang, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Negative refractive index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, No. 12, 121104(4), 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.79.121104
23. Dong, J., J. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. Soukoulis, "Bi-layer crosschiral structure with strong optical activity and negative refractiveindex," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 16, 14172-14179, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.014172
24. Li, Z., R. Zhao, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, K. B. Alici， E. Colak, H. Caglayan, E. Ozbay, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index based on four ‘’U" split ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 8, 081901(3), 2010.
25. Decker, M., R. Z., C. M. Soukoulis, S. Linden, and M. Wegener, "Twisted split-ring-resonator photonic metamaterial with huge optical activity," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 10, 1593, 2010. doi:10.1364/OL.35.001593
26. Zhao, R. , L. Zhang, J. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Conjugated gammadion chiral metamaterial with uniaxial optical activity and negative refractive index," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 83, No. 3, 035105(4), 2011.
27. Li, Z., K. B. Alici, E. Colak, and E. Ozbay, "Complementary chiral metamaterials with giant optical activity and negative refractive index," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, 161907, 2011. doi:10.1063/1.3574909
28. Li, J., F. Q. Yang, and J. F. Dong, "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
29. Wu, Z., J. Zhu, H. Lu, and B Zeng, "A double-layer metamaterial with negative refractive index originating from chiral configuration," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 1, 163-166, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25645
30. Zarifi, D., M. Soleimani, and V. Nayyeri, "A novel dual-band chiral metamaterial structure with giant optical activity and negative refractive index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2--3, 251-263, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312800030767
31. Li, Z., K. B. Alici, H. Caglayan, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Composite chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index and high values of the figure of merit," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, No. 16, 6146-6156, 2012. doi:10.1364/OE.20.006146
32. Zhao, R., T. Koschny, E. N. Economou, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Comparison of chiral metamaterial designs for repulsive Casimir force," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 81, No. 32, 235126, 2010. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.81.235126
33. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., Wiley, 1999.
34. Falcone, F. , T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, M. Beruete, R. R. Marques, F. F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to the design of metasurfaces and metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 3, No. 19, 197401(4), 2004.
35. Zentgraf , T., T. P. Meyrath, A. Seidel, S. Kaiser, and H. Giessen, "Babinet's principle for optical frequency metamaterials and nanoantennas," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 76, No. 3, 033407(4), 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.76.033407
36. Liu, N., S. Kaiser, and H. Giessen, "Magnetoinductive and electroinductive coupling in plasmonic metamaterial molecules," Adv. Mater., Vol. 20, No. 23, 4521-4525, Deerfield Beach, Florida, 2008. doi:10.1002/adma.200801917
37. Xiong, X. , W. H. Sun, Y. J. Bao, M. Wang, R. W. Peng, C. Sun, X. Lu, J. Shao, Z. F. Li, and N. B. Ming, "Construction of a chiral metamaterial with a U-shaped resonator assembly," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 81, No. 7, 075119, 2010. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.81.075119
38. Zhao, R., T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metama-terials: Retrieval of the effective parameters with and without substrate," Opt. Express, Vol. 8, No. 14, 14553-14567, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.014553
39. Kwon, D., D. H. Werner, A. V. Kildishev, V. M. Shalaev, and , "Material parameter retrieval procedure for general bi-isotropic metamaterials and its application to optical chiral negative-index metamaterial design," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 16, 11822-11829, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.011822
40. Depine, R. A. and A. A. Lakhtakia, "New condition to identify isotropic dielectric-magnetic materials displaying negative phase velocity," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 4, 315-316, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20127