A simple and nonlinear LDMOS transistor model with multi-bias consideration has been proposed. Elements of the model are optimizes using particle swarm optimization (PSO) algorithm to fit the measured RF specifications of a typical transistor. The developed model is used then to design a high efficiency power amplifier with 55% power added efficiency (PAE) at 33 dBm output power with 12 dB power gain. This amplifier has a novel topology with optimized BALUN and microstrip matching network which makes it unconditionally stable and extensively linear over UHF frequency range of 100 MHz to 1 GHz with 163% fractional bandwidth. This power amplifier is fabricated and realized with 12-V supply voltage. A good agreement between simulated and measured values observed, indicating high accuracy of either the model and the amplifier design approach.
2. Chen, Y., C.-Y. Liu, T.-N. Luo, and D. Heo, "A high-efficient CMOS RF power amplifier with automatic adaptive bias control," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 615-617, Nov. 2006.
3. Kim, Y., C. Park, H. Kim, and S. Hong, "CMOS RF power amplifier with reconfigurable transformer," Electronics Letters,, Vol. 42, 405-407, Mar. 2006.
4. Nemati, H. M., C. Fager, M. Thorsell, and H. Zirath, "High-efficiency LDMOS power-amplifier design at 1 GHz using an optimized transistor model," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 1647-1654, Jul. 2009.
5. Solwati, T., C. A. T. Salama, J. Sitch, G. Rabjohn, and D. Smith, "Low-voltage high-efficiency GaAs class E power amplifiers for wireless transmitters," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 30, 1074-1080, Oct. 2009.
6. Nielsen, M. and T. Larsen, "A 2-GHz GaAs HBT RF pulse width modulator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, 300-304, Feb. 2008.
7. Shirvani, A., D. K. Su, and B. A. Wooley, "A CMOS RF power amplifier with parallel amplification for efficient power control," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 37, 684-693.
8. Ortega-Gonzalez, F. J., "High power wideband class-E power amplifier," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, 569-571, Oct. 2010.
9. Naghavi, A. H., M. Tondro-Aghmiyouni, M. Jahanbakht, and A. A. Lotfi Neyestanak, "Hybrid wideband microstrip Wilkinson power divider based on lowpass filter optimized using particle swarm method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1877-1886, 2010.
10. Gruner, D., R. Sorge, O. Bengtsson, A. Al Tanany, and G. Boeck, "Analysis, design, and evaluation of LDMOS FETs for RF power applications up to 6 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, 4022-4030, Dec. 2010.
11. Kim, J., B. Fehri, S. Boumaiza, and J. Wood, "Power efficiency and linearity enhancement using optimized asymmetrical Doherty power amplifiers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 425-434, Feb. 2011.