A scalar Frequency-Domain Finite-Difference approach to the mode computation of elliptic waveguides is presented. The use of an elliptic cylindrical grid allows us to take exactly into account the curved boundary of the structure and a single mesh has been used both for TE and TM modes. As a consequence, a high accuracy is obtained with a reduced computational burden, since the resulting matrix is highly sparse.
1. Conciauro, G., et al., "Waveguide modes via an integral equation leading to a linear matrix eigenvalue problem," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques,, Vol. 32, 1495-1504, 1984. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1984.1132880
2. Accatino, L., et al., "Elliptical cavity resonators for dual-mode narrowband filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, 2393-2401, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.643850
3. Wexler, A., "Solution of waveguide discontinuities by modal analysis," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 15, 508-517, 1967. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1967.1126521
4. Chan, K. L. and S. R. Judah, "Mode-matching analysis of a waveguide junction formed by a circular and a larger elliptic waveguide," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag, Vol. 145, 123-127, 1998. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19981216
5. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2nd Ed., Ch. 7, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, 2001.
6. Mazzarella, G. , G. Montisci, and , "Accurate modeling of coupling junctions in dielectric covered waveguide slot arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 17, 59-71, 2011.
7. Montisci, G., G. Mazzarella, and G. A. Casula, "Effective analysis of a waveguide longitudinal slot with cavity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 3104-3110, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2196953
8. Mazzarella, G. and G. Montisci, "Wideband equivalent circuit of a centered-inclined waveguide slot coupler," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, No. 1, 133-151, 2000. doi:10.1163/156939300X00671
9. Casula, G. A., G. Mazzarella, and G. Montisci, "Effective analysis of a microstrip slot coupler," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1203-1217, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042955333
10. Mazzarella, G. and G. Montisci, "A rigorous analysis of dielectric-covered narrow longitudinal shunt slots with finite wall thickness," Electromagnetics, Vol. 19, 407-418, 1999. doi:10.1080/02726349908908660
11. Mazzarella, G. and G. Montisci, "Accurate characterization of the interaction between coupling slots and waveguide bends in waveguide slot arrays," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 48, 1154-1157, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.848500
12. Casula, G. A., G. Mazzarella, and G. Montisci, "Effect of the feeding t-junctions in the performance of planar waveguide slot arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 11, 953-956, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2213233
13. Chu, L. J., "Electromagnetic waves in elliptic hollow pipes of metal ," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 9, 583-591, 1938. doi:10.1063/1.1710459
19. Fanti , A., G. Mazzarella, and G. Montisci, "Curvilinear vector finite difference approach to the computation of waveguide modes," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 1, 29-37, 2012.
20. Zhao, , Y. J., , K. L. Wu, and K. K. M. Cheng, "A compact 2-D full-wave finite-difference frequency-domain method for general guided wave structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 50, 1844-1848, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.800447
21. Hwang, J. N., "A compact 2-D FDFD method for modeling microstrip structures with nonuniform grids and perfectly matched layer," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 53, 653-659, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.840569
22. Kuzu, L., V. Demir, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and E. Arvas, "Electromagnetic scattering from arbitrarily shaped chiral objects using the ¯nite di®erence frequency domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 67, 1-24, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06083104
23. Podwalski, J., P. Kowalczyk, and M. Mrozowski, "Efficient multiscale finite difference frequency domain analysis using multiple macromodels with compressed boundaries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 463-479, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12012008
24. Rumpf, R. C., "Simple implementation of arbitrarily shaped total-field/scattered-field regions in finite-difference frequency-domain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 221-248, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB11092006
25. Lovranos, C. S. and G. A. Kyriacou, "Eigenvalue analysis of curved waveguides employing an orthogonal curvilinear frequency-domain finite-difference method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 57, 594-611, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2013314
26. Taflove, A., Advances in Computational Electrodynamics --- The FDTD Method, Artech House, London, 1995.
27. Xiao, S., R. Vahldieck, and H. Jin, "Full-wave analysis of guided wave structures using a novel 2-D FDTD," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 2, 165-167, 1992. doi:10.1109/75.134342
28. Choi, D. H. and W. J. R. Hoefer, "The finite-difference-time-domain method and its applications to eigenvalue problems," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 34, 1464-1470, 1986. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133564
29. Fanti, A. and G. Mazzarella, "Finite differences single grid evaluation of TE and TM modes in metallic waveguides," Loughborough Antennas Propag. Conf., 517-520, Loughborough,UK, 2010.
30. Itoh, T., Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter-wave Passive Structures, Sect. 1.1, Wiley, New York, 1989.
31. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, "The Matrix Computations," The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore MD, 1996.