In this paper we present a novel general methodology which ensure a minimum uncertainty in the measurement of the real part of the permittivity of a material measured using cylindrical shielded dielectric resonators. The method is based on the fact that for any given value of the dielectric permittivity there is an optimal radius of the cylindrical dielectric rod sample. When the dielectric rod sample has the optimum radius, the width of the coverage interval associated to the real part of the dielectric permittivity measurement result --- for a given confidence level --- is reduced due to a lower sensitivity of the dielectric permittivity to be measured versus the variations in the resonant frequency. The appropriated radius of a given sample under test is calculated using Monte Carlo simulations for a specific mode and a specific resonant frequency. The results show that the confidence interval could be reduced by one order of magnitude with respect to its maximum width predicted by the uncertainty estimation performed using the Monte Carlo method (MCM) as established by the supplement 1 of the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement (GUM). The optimum radius of the sample under examination is fundamentally determined by the electromagnetic equations that describe the measurement and does not depend specifically of the sources of uncertainty considered.
1. Paez, E., M. A. Azpurua, C. Tremola, and R. C. Callarotti, "Uncertainty estimation in complex permittivity measurements by shielded dielectric resonator technique using the monte carlo method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 41, 101-119, 2012.
2. Ong, C. K. , L. F. Chen, V. V. Varadan, C. P. Neo, and V. K. Varadan, Microwave Electronics Measurement and Materials Characterization, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2004. doi:10.1002/0470020466
3. Vanzura, E. J., J. R. Baker-Jarvis, J. H. Grosvenor, and M. D. Janezic, "Intercomparison of permittivity measurements using the transmission/reflection method in 7-mm coaxial transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and echniques, Vol. 42, No. 11, 2063-2070, Nov. 1994. doi:10.1109/22.330120
4. Weil, C. M. and W. A. Kissick, "The electromagnetic properties of materials program at nist," 8th IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, IMTC, Conference Record, 626-630, May 1991. doi:10.1109/IMTC.1991.161673
5. Waldron, R. A., "Theory of a strip-line cavity for measurement of dielectric constants and gyromagnetic-resonance line-widths," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 12, No. 1, 123-131, Jan. 1964. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1964.1125760
6. Baker-Jarvis, J., R. G. Geyer, J. H. Grosvenor, Jr., M. D. Janezic, C. A. Jones, B. Riddle, C. M. Weil, and . Krupka, "Dielectric characterization of low-loss materials a comparison of techniques," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 5, No. 4, 571-577, Aug. 1998. doi:10.1109/94.708274
7. Baker-Jarvis, J., E. J. Vanzura, and W. A. Kissick, "Improved tech-nique for determining complex permittivity with the transmission/reflection method Theory and Techniques," IEEE Transactions on Microwave, Vol. 38, No. 8, 1096-1103, Aug. 1990. doi:10.1109/22.57336
8. Du, X.-H., Q.-M. Wang, and K. Uchino, "Accurate determination of complex materials coe±cients of piezoelectric resonators," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control , Vol. 50, No. 3, 312-320, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1109/TUFFC.2003.1193625
9. Boughriet, A.-H., C. Legrand, and A. Chapoton, "Noniterative stable transmission/reflection method for low-loss material complex permittivity determination," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 1, 52-57, Jan. 1997. doi:10.1109/22.552032
10. Bureau International des Poids et Mesures, Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology , Evaluation of Measurement Data --- Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, 1st Ed., BIPM, 2008.
11. Bureau International des Poids et Mesures, Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology, "Evaluation of Measurement Data --- Supplement 1 to the \Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement --- | Propagation of Distributions using a Monte Carlo Method," BIPM, 2008.