This paper presents an unconditionally stable threedimensional (3-D) leapfrog alternating-direction-implicit finite-difference time-domain (ADI-FDTD) method for lossy media. Conductivity terms of lossy media are incorporated into the leapfrog ADI-FDTD method in an analogous manner as the conventional explicit FDTD method since the leapfrog ADI-FDTD method is a perturbation of the conventional explicit FDTD method. Implementation of the leapfrog ADI-FDTD method for lossy media with special consideration for boundary condition is provided. Numerical results and examples are presented to validate the formulation.
2. Namiki, T., "A new FDTD algorithm based on alternating-direction implicit method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 10, 2003-2007, Oct. 1999.
3. Zheng, F., Z. Chen, and J. Zhang, "Toward the development of a three-dimensional unconditionally stable finite-difference time-domain method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 9, 1550-1558, Sep. 2000.
4. Tan, E. L., "Fundamental schemes for efficient unconditionally stable implicit finite-difference time-domain methods," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 1, 170-177, Jan. 2008.
5. Gan, T. H. and E. L. Tan, "Stability and dispersion analysis for three-dimensional (3-D) leapfrog ADI-FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 23, 1-12, Jan. 2012.
6. Yang, S. C., Z. Chen, Y. Yu, and W. Y. Yin, "The unconditionally stable one-step leapfrog ADI-FDTD method and its comparisons with other FDTD methods," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 21, 640-642, Dec. 2011.
7. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwells equations in isotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 14, No. 3, 302-307, May 1966.
8. Taflove, A. and K. R. Umashankar, "The finite-difference time-domain method for numerical modeling of electromagnetic wave interactions with arbitrary structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 2, 287-373, 1990.
9. Heh, D. Y. and E. L. Tan, "Unified efficient fundamental ADI-FDTD schemes for lossy media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 32, 217-242, 2011.
10. Chen, J. and J. Wang, "PEC condition implementation for the ADI-FDTD method," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 526-530, Mar. 2007.
11. Jolani, F., Y. Yu, and Z. Chen, "A hybrid FDTD and leapfrog ADI-FDTD method with PML implementation," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 2011.
12. Namiki, T., "3-D ADI-FDTD method --- Unconditionally stable time-domain algorithm for solving full vector Maxwells equations," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 10, 1743-1748, Oct. 2000.
13. Chen, C. C. P., T. W. Lee, N. Murugesan, and S. C. Hagness, "Generalized FDTD-ADI: An unconditionally stable full-wave Maxwell's equations solver for VLSI interconnect modeling," IEEE/ACM Int. Conf. on Computer Aided Design, ICCAD, 156-163, 2000.
14. Gan, T. H. and E. L. Tan, "Mur absorbing boundary conditions Mur absorbing boundary conditions," IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Antenna and Propagation, Singapore, Aug. 2012.
15. Heh, D. Y. and E. L. Tan, "Dispersion analysis of FDTD schemes for doubly lossy media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 177-192, 2010.
16. Tay, W. C. and E. L. Tan, "Implementation of PMC and PEC boundary conditions for efficient fundamental ADI and LOD FDTD," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 4, 563-573, 2010.
17. Tay, W. C, , D. Y. Heh, and E. L. Tan, "GPU-accelerated fundamental ADI-FDTD with complex frequency shifted convolutional perfectly matched layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 14, 177-192, 2010.
18. Benford, J., J A. Swegle, and E. Schamiloglu, High Power Microwaves, 2nd Ed., Taylor and Francis Group, CRC Press, 2007.
19. Hippel, A., Dielectric Materials and Applications, 2nd Ed., Artech House, 1995.
20. Wang, X. H, W. Y. Yin, Y. Yu, Z. Chen, J.Wang, and Y. Guo, "A convolutional perfect matched layer (CPML) for one-step leapfrog ADI-FDTD method and its applications to EMC problems," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., 2012.
21. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, 3rd Ed., Artech House, Boston, MA, 2005.