In this paper, the measurement of the Doppler spectrum in a reverberation chamber (RC) is investigated. The estimation performance of the Doppler spectrum in the previous work is reformulated and analyzed. It is found that the previous RC Doppler spectrum evaluation is an inconsistent estimation. An improved method for evaluating the Doppler spectrum is presented, which makes use of the frequency stirring technique to enhance the estimation performance. In addition, the RC loading effect on the Doppler spectrum is investigated in this paper as well. Measurements are performed in a RC, based on which the Doppler spectrum is evaluated. It is shown that the improved method results in a smaller estimation variance and that the Doppler spread decreases with increasing RC loading.
2. Chen, X., P.-S. Kildal, and J. Carlsson, "Fast converging measurement of MRC diversity gain in reverberation chamber using covariance-eigenvalue approach," IEICE Transactions on Electronics, Vol. E94-C, No. 10, 1657-1660, Oct. 2011.
3. Sanchez-Heredia, J. D., J. F. Valenzuela-Valdes, A. M. Martinez-Gonzalez, and D. A. Sanchez-Hernandez, "Emulation of MIMO Rician fading environments with mode-stirred reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 654-660, 2011.
4. Genender, E., C. L. Holloway, K. A. Remley, J. M. Ladbury, G. Koepke, and H. Garbe, "Simulating the multipath channel with a reverberation chamber: Application to bit error rate measurements," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, , 766-777, 2010.
5. Centeno, A. and N. Alford, "Measurement of zigbee wireless communications in mode-stirred and mode-tuned reverberation chamber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, , 171-178, 2011.
6. Staniec, K. and A. J. Pomianek, "On simulating the radio signal propagation in the reverberation chamber with the ray launching method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, , 83-99, 2011.
7. Chen, X., "Spatial correlation and ergodic capacity of MIMO channel in reverberation chamber," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 939104, 7 pages, 2012 .
8. Chen, X., "Measurements and evaluations of multi-element antennas based on limited channel samples in a reverberation chamber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 45-62, 2012.
9. Sorrentino, A., G. Ferrara, and M. Migliaccio, "On the coherence time control of a continuous mode stirred reverberating chamber," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3372-3374, 2009.
10. Shah, S. A., "Wireless channel characterization of the reverberation chamber at NIST,", Master Thesis at Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden,2011.
11. Chen, X. , P.-S. Kildal, C. Orlenius, and J. Carlsson, "Channel sounding of loaded reverberation chamber for Over-the-Air testing of wireless devices --- Coherence bandwidth and delay spread versus average mode bandwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett, Vol. 8, 678-681, 2009.
12. Choi, J.-H. and S.-O. Park, "Generation of Rayleigh/Rician fading channels with variable RMS delay by changing boundary conditions of the reverberation chamber," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 510-513, May 2010.
13. Hallbjorner, P. and A. Rydberg, "Maximum Doppler frequency in reverberation chamber with continuously moving stirrer," Loughborough Antenna Propag. Conf., 2007.
14. Choi, J.-H., J.-H. Lee, and S.-O. Park, "Characterizing the impact of moving mode-stirrers on the Doppler spread spectrum in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 375-378, 2010.
15. Karlsson, K., X. Chen, P.-S. Kildal, and J. Carlsson, "Doppler spread in reverberation chamber predicted from measurements during step-wise stationary stirring," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 497-500, 2010.
16. Hill, D. A., "Electronic mode stirring for reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 36, No. 4, 294-299, Nov. 1994.
17. Porat, B., Digital Processing of Random Signals, Prentice Hall, 1994.
18. Kostas, J. G. and B. Boverie, "Statistical model for a mode-stirred chamber," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 33, No. 4, 366-370, Nov. 1991.
19. Bello, P. A., "Characterization of randomly time-variant linear channels," IEEE Trans. Commun. Syst., 360-393, Dec. 1963.
20., "Plane wave integral representation for fields in reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 3, 209-217, 1998.
21. Kay, S. M., "Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing: Estimation Theory," Prentice Hall, 1993.
22. Holloway, C. L., D. A. Hill, J. M. Ladbury, P. F. Wilson, G. Koepke, and J. Coder, "On the use of reverberation chamber to simulate a Rician radio environment for the testing of wireless devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3167-3177, Nov. 2006.
23. Lemoine, C., E. Amador, and P. Besnier, "On the K-factor estimation for Rician channel simulated in reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 1003-1012, Mar. 2011.
24. Chen, X., P.-S. Kildal, and S.-H. Lai, "Estimation of average Rician K-factor and average mode bandwidth in loaded reverberation chamber," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1437-1440, 2011.
25. Paulraj, A., R. Nabar, and D. Gore, "Introduction to Space-time Wireless Communication," Cambridge University Press, 2003.