This paper presents a generalized volume-surface integral equation (GVSIE) to solve electromagnetic (EM) scattering of high contrast inhomogeneous materials. Then the method of moments (MoM) is employed to solve the GVSIE. The GVSIE technique where the domain is represented by a corresponding uniform background medium coupled with a variation, together representing the overall inhomogeneity, is solve by the method of moments (MoM) using Schaubert-Wilton-Glisson (SWG) and Rao-Wilton-Glisson (RWG) basis functions. The adaptive cross approximation (ACA) algorithm combined with the equivalent dipole-moment (EDM) method are extended to reduce memory and CPU time. A highly effective preconditioning strategy is presented to solve the system of equations without any increase in the computational complexity. Experiments on several problems representative of scattering simulations are given to illustrate the potential of the above proposed techniques for solving EM scattering involving high contrast applications.
2. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982.
3. Poggio, A. J. and E. K. Miller, Integral Equation Solution of Three Dimensional Scattering Problems, Chapter 4, Elmsford, Permagon, NY, 1973.
4. Chang, Y. and R. F. Harrington, "A surface formulation for characteristic modes of material bodies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 25, 789-795, 1977.
5. Wu, T. K. and L. L. Tsai, "Scattering from arbitrarily-shaped lossy dielectric bodies of revolution," Radio Sci., Vol. 12, 709-718, 1977.
6. Usner, B. C., K. Sertel, M. A. Carr, and J. L. Volakis, "Generalized volume-surface integral equation for modeling inhomogeneities within high contrast composite structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 1, 68-75, 2006.
7. Yuan, J. D., C. Q. Gu, and G. D. Han, "Efficient generation of method of moments matrices using equivalent dipole-moment method," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 716-719, 2009.
8. Deng, X. Q., C. Q. Gu, and Y. G. Zhou, "Electromagnetic scattering by arbitrary shaped three-dimensional conducting objects covered with electromagnetic anisotropic materials," ACES Journal, Vol. 26, No. 11, 886-892, 2011.
9. Gurel, L., T. Malas, and L. Gurel, "Solutions of large scale electromagnetics problems using an iterative inner-outer scheme with ordinary and approximate multilevel fast multipole algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 203-223, 2010.
10. Wang, C. F., L. W. Li, P. S. Kooi, and M. S. Leong, "Efficient capacitance computation for three dimensional structures based on adaptive integral method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 30, 33-46, 2011.
11. Chen, X. L., Z. Y. Niu, Z. Li, and C. Q. Gu, "A hybrid fast dipole method and adaptive modified characteristic basis function method for electromagnetic scattering from perfect electric conduction targets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 14-15, 1940-1952, 2011.
12. Chen, X. L., Z. Li, Z. Y. Niu, and C. Q. Gu, "Analysis of electromagnetic scattering from PEC targets using improved fast dipole method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2254-2263, 2011.
13. Zhao, K., M. N. Vouvakis, and J.-F. Lee, "The adaptive cross approximation algorithm for accelerated method of moments computations of EMC," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 47, No. 4, 763-773, 2005.
14. Guo, J. L., J. Y. Li, and Q. Z. Liu, "Electromagnetic analysis of coupled conducting and dielectric targets using MoM with a pre-conditioner," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 9, 1223-1236, 2005.
15. Li, X. M., C. M. Tong, S. H. Fu, and J. J. Li, "A study on EM scattering characteristics of radome," Modern Radar, Vol. 31, No. 10, 95-97, 2009.