In this paper, a polarization-independent wide-angle planar metamaterial absorber exhibiting dual directional absorption is proposed. Measurement results indicate that the planar metamaterial absorber achieves absorptivities of 86.87% and 91.48% to the normally incident electromagnetic waves propagating in forward (+z) and backward (-z) directions, respectively. Due to geometry's fourfold rotational symmetry, the absorber is polarization-independent. Additionally, the absorber works well for a wide range of incident angles for both transverse electric and transverse magnetic polarizations. Besides its impressing performance, this planar metamaterial absorber is also extremely thin that it's thickness is approximately 1/32 of the working wavelength.
2. Li, M. H., H. L. Yang, X. W. Hou, Y. Tian, and D. Y. Hou, "Perfect metamaterial absorber with dual bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 37-49, 2010.
3. Xu, Y. Q., P. H. Zhou, H. B. Zhang, L. Chen, and L. J. Deng, "A wide-angle planar metamaterial absorber based on split ring resonator coupling," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 110, 044102, 2011.
4. Li, L., Y. Yang, and C. Liang, "A wide-angle polarization-insensitive ultra-thin metamaterial absorber with three resonant modes," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 110, 063702, 2011.
5. Huang, L. and H. Chen, "Multi-band and polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 103-110, 2011.
6. Tao, H., N. I. Landy, C. M. Bingham, X. Zhang, R. D. Averitt, and W. J. Padilla, "A metamaterial absorber for the terahertz regime: Design, fabrication and characterization," Optics Express, Vol. 16, 7181-7188, 2008.
7. Tao, H., C. M. Bingham, A. C. Strikwerda, D. Pilon, D. Shrekenhamer, N. I. Landy, K. Fan, X. Zhang, W. J. Padilla, and R. D. Averitt, "Highly flexible wide angle of incidence terahertz metamaterial absorber: Design, fabrication, and characterization," Physical Review B, Vol. 78, 241103(R), 2008.
8. Landy, N. I. , C. M. Bingham, T. Tyler, N. Jokerst, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "Design, theory, and measurement of a polarization-insensitive absorber for terahertz imaging," Physical Review B, Vol. 79, 125104, 2009.
9. Grant, J., Y. Ma, S. Saha, L. B. Lok, A. Khalid, and D. R. S. Cumming, "Polarization insensitive terahertz metamaterial absorber," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, 1524-1526, 2011.
10. Huang, L. , D. R. Chowdhury, S. Ramani, M. T. Reiten, S.-N. Luo, A. J. Taylor, and H.-T. Chen, "Experimental demonstration of terahertz metamaterial absorbers with a broad and flat high absorption band," Optics Letters, Vol. 37, 154-156, 2012.
11. Avitzour, Y., Y. A. Urzhumov, and G. Shvets, "Wide-angle infrared absorber based on a negative-index plasmonic metamaterial," Physical Review B, Vol. 79, 045131, 2009.
12. Liu, N., M. Mesch, T. Weiss, M. Hentschel, and H. Giessen, "Infrared perfect absorber and its application as plasmonic sensor," Nano Letters, Vol. 10, 2342-2348, 2010.
13. Liu, X. L., T. Starr, A. F. Starr, and W. J. Padilla, "Infrared spatial and frequency selective metamaterial with near-unity absorbance," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 104, 207403, 2010.
14. Jiang, Z. H., S. Yun, F. Toor, D. H. Werner, and T. S. Mayer, "Conformal dual-band near-perfectly absorbing mid-infrared metamaterial coating," Acs Nano, Vol. 5, 4641-4647, 2011.
15. Feng, Q., M. B. Pu, C. G. Hu, and X. G. Luo, "Engineering the dispersion of metamaterial surface for broadband infrared absorption," Optics Letters, Vol. 37, 2133-2135, 2012.
16. Dayal, G. and S. A. Ramakrishna, "Design of highly absorbing metamaterials for infrared frequencies," Optics Express, Vol. 20, 17503-17508, 2012.
17. Aydin, K., V. E. Ferry, R. M. Briggs, and H. A. Atwater, "Broad-band polarization-independent resonant light absorption using ultrathin plasmonic super absorbers," Nature Communications, Vol. 2, 517, 2011.
18. Wang, Y., T. Y. Sun, T. Paudel, Y. Zhang, Z. F. Ren, and K. Kempa, "Metamaterial-plasmonic absorber structure for high efficiency amorphous silicon solar cells," Nano Letters,, Vol. 12, 440-445, 2012.
19. Wang, J. Q., C. Z. Fan, P. Ding, J. N. He, Y. G. Cheng, W. Q. Hu, G. W. Cai, E. J. Liang, and Q. Z. Xue, "Tunable broad-band perfect absorber by exciting of multiple plasmon resonances at optical frequency," Optics Express, Vol. 20, 14871-14878, 2012.
20. Gu, S., J. P. Barrett, T. H. Hand, B. I. Popa, and S. A. Cummer, "A broadband low-reflection metamaterial absorber," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 108, 064913, 2010.
21. Hu, C., X. Li, Q. Feng, X. N. Chen, and X. Luo, "Introducing dipole-like resonance into magnetic resonance to realize simultaneous drop in transmission and reflection at terahertz frequency," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 108, 053103, 2010.
22. Holloway, C. L., A. Dienstfrey, E. F. Kuester, J. F. O'Hara, A. K. Azad, and A. J. Taylor, "A discussion on the interpretation and characterization of metafilms/metasurfaces: The two-dimensional equivalent of metamaterials," Metamaterials, Vol. 3, 100-112, 2009.
23. Holloway, C. L., E. F. Kuester, and A. Dienstfrey, "Characterizing metasurfaces/metafilms: The connection between surface susceptibilities and effective material properties," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1507-1511, 2011.
24. Holloway, C. L., E. F. Kuester, J. A. Gordon, J. O'Hara, J. Booth, D. R. Smith, "An overview of the theory and applications of metasurfaces: The two-dimensional equivalents of metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, 10-35, 2012.
25. Morits, D. and C. Simovski, "Electromagnetic characterization of planar and bulk metamaterials: A theoretical study," Physical Review B, Vol. 82, 165114, 2010.