In high power applications of wireless power transfer systems as Maglev, both a high transferred power and a high efficiency are essential. However, these two requirements usually show dissimilar profiles over a range of operating conditions. Magnetic and electric models for a capacitor compensated system are used to analyze the problem. Using the analysis outcome, a compromise is made to come to an acceptable design, achieving both requirements. In particular, appropriate design parameters and resonance frequency are obtained. The analytical results are confirmed by 3D FEM analysis.
1. Lee, H. W., K. C. Kim, and J. Lee, "Review of Maglev train technologies," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 7, 1917-1925, Jul. 2006.
2. Cassat, A. and M. Jufer, "Maglev projects technology aspects and choices," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 12, No. 1, 915-925, Mar. 2002. doi:10.1109/TASC.2002.1018549
3. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, and V. Lemarquand, "Halbach structures for permanent magnets bearings," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 14, 263-277, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERM10100401
4. Janssen, J. L. G., J. J. H. Paulides, and E. A. Lomonova, "Study of magnetic gravity compensator topologies using an abstraction in the analytical interaction equations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 75-90, 2012.
5. Matrosov, V. M., A. Musolino, R. Rizzo, and M. Tucci, "A new passive maglev system based on eddy current stabilization," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics,, Vol. 45, No. 3, 984-987, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012533
6. Di Puccio, F., A. Musolino, R. Rizzo, and E. Tripodi, "A self-controlled maglev system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 26, 187-203, 2012.
7. Abel, E. and S. Third, "Contactless power transfer, an exercise in topology," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 20, No. 5, 1813-1815, 1984. doi:10.1109/TMAG.1984.1063160
8. Elliott, G. A. J., G. A. Covic, D. Kacprzak, and J. T. Boys, "A new concept: Asymmetrical pick-ups for inductively coupled power transfer monorail systems," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 10, 3389-3391, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.879619
9. Woo, K. , H. Park, and Y. Cho, "Contactless energy transmission system for linear servo motor," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1596-1599, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.845025
10. Sergeant, P. and A. Van den Bossche, "Inductive coupler for contactless power transmission," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1-7, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-epa:20070059
11. Kurs, A., A. Karalis, R. Moffatt, J. D. Joannopoulos, P. Fisher, and M. Soljacic, "Wireless power transfer via strongly coupled magnetic resonances," Science, Vol. 317, 83-86, 2007. doi:10.1126/science.1143254
12. Song, B. M., R. Kratz, and S. Gurol, "Contactless inductive power pickup system for maglev applications," Proc. Conf. 37th IAS Ann. Meeting, Vol. 3, 1586-1591, 2002.
13. Peng, , L., O. Breinbjerg, and N. A. Mortensen, "Wireless energy transfer through non-resonant magnetic coupling," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1587-1598, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310792149795
14. Klontz, K., D. Divan, and D. Novotny, "An actively cooled 120-kW coaxial winding transformer for fast charging electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 31, No. 6, 1257-1263, 1995. doi:10.1109/28.475695
15. Hasanzadeh, S., S. Vaez-zadeh, and A. H. Isfahani, "Optimization of a contactless power transfer system for electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 61, No. 8, 3566-3573, Oct. 2012. doi:10.1109/TVT.2012.2209464
16. Novotny, D. W. and R. D. Lorenz, "Contactless power delivery system for mining applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1995.
17. Raabe, S., S. Member, J. T. Boys, and G. A. Covic, "A high power coaxial inductive power transfer pickup," PESC Conf., Vol. 2, No. 1, 4320-4325, 2008.
18. Lastowiecki, J. and P. Staszewski, "Sliding transformer with long magnetic circuit for contact-less electrical energy delivery to mobile receivers," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 53, No. 6, 1943-1948, 2006. doi:10.1109/TIE.2006.885473
19. Luo, X., S. Niu, S. L. Ho, and W. N. Fu, "A design method of magnetically resonanting wireless power delivery systems for bioimplantable devices," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 3833-3836, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2148108
20. Ho, S., J. Wang, W. Fu, and M. Sun, "A comparative study between novel witricity and traditional inductive magnetic coupling in wireless charging," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1522-1525, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2091495
21. Villa, J. L., J. Sallan, A. Llombart, and J. F. Sanz, "Design of a high frequency inductively coupled power transfer system for electric vehicle battery charge," Applied Energy, Vol. 86, No. 3, 355-363, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2008.05.009
22. Hasanzadeh, S. and S. Vaez-Zadeh, "Performance analysis of contactless electrical power transfer for Maglev," Journal of Magnetics, Vol. 17, No. 2, 115-123, Jun. 2012. doi:10.4283/JMAG.2012.17.2.115