A compact 90° bent equal output ports of photonic crystal (PC) beam splitter (BS) with complete band gap (CPBG) based on the effect of defect resonance interface (DRI) in PC waveguides is designed and analyzed. The finite-difference time-domain method is adopted to simulate the relevant structures of defect mode in a two dimensional square lattice circular dielectric rods of anisotropic PC. The device size reduction and flexibility in polarization dependence compared with the conventional PCBS can be attributed to the same resonant frequency for both transverse-magnetic and transverse-electric polarization, because the PC structures designed here have a CPBG. The merit of our proposed PCBSs with identical lights at the output ports possess the short coupling length with direct coupling (the coupling length is the same as that of the width of DRI, 3a) and the short distance without cross-talk among the output ports (only three lattice constant, 3a), thus helping the design flexibility of the PCBSs in IOCs.
1. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1995.
2. Sakoda, K., Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, Springer Press, 2001.
3. Fan, S., P. Villeneuve, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Channel drop through localized states," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 80, 960-963, 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.80.960
4. Banaei, H. A. and A. Rostami, "A novel proposal for passive all-optical demultiplexer for DWDM systems using 2-D photonic crystals," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 22, No. 4, 471-482, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784150263
5. Shi, Y., "A compact polarization beam splitter based on a multimode photonic crystal waveguide with an internal photonic crystal section," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 393-401, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10040402
6. Bennett, J. M., "Polarization," Handbook of Optics, M. Bass, E. W. Van Stryland, D. R. Williams, and W. L. Wolfe (eds.), Vol. I, Chap. 5, McGraw-Hil, 1995.
7. Perla, S. R. and R. M. A. Azzam, "Wide-angle, high-extinctionratio, infrared polarizing beam splitters using frustrated total internal re°ection by an embedded centrosymmetric multilayer," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, 4604-4612, 2007. doi:10.1364/AO.46.004604
8. Zheng, J., C. Zhou, J. Feng, and B. Wang, "Polarizing beam splitter of deep-etched triangular-groove fused-silica gratings," Opt. Lett., Vol. 33, 1554-1556, 2008. doi:10.1364/OL.33.001554
9. Solli, D. R., C. F. McCormick, R. Y. Chiao, and J. M. Hickman, "PC polarizers and polarizing beam splitters," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 93, 9429-9431, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1574174
10. Khanfar, H. K. and R. M. A. Azzam, "Broadband IR polarizing beam splitter using a subwavelength-structured one-dimensional photonic-crystal layer embedded in a high-index prism," Appl. Opt., Vol. 48, 5121-5126, 2009. doi:10.1364/AO.48.005121
11. Bayindir, M. , E. Ozbay, B. Temelkuran, M. M. Sigalas, C. M. Soukoulis, R. Biswas, and K. M. Ho, "Guiding, bending, and splitting of electromagnetic waves in highly confined PC wave guides," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 63, 081107, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.63.081107
12. Yonekura, J., M. Ikeda, and T. Baba, "Analysis of finite 2D PCs of columns and lightwave devices using the scattering matrix method," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 17, 1500-1508, 1999. doi:10.1109/50.779177
13. Liu, T., A. R. Zakharian, M. Fallahi, J. V. Moloney, and M. Mansuripur, "Multimode interference-based PC waveguide power splitter," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 22, 2842-2846, 2004. doi:10.1109/JLT.2004.834479
14. Fan, S., S. G. Hohnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, C. Manolatou, and H. A. Haus, "Waveguide branches in PCs," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B, Vol. 18, 162-165, 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.18.000162
15. Chen, C. C. , H. D. Chien, and P. G. Luan, "Photonic crystal beam splitter," Appl. Opt., Vol. 43, 6187-6190, 2004. doi:10.1364/AO.43.006187
16. Li, Z. Y., B. Y. Gu, and G. Z. Yuan, "Large absolute band gap in 2D anisotropic photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 81, 2574-2577, 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.81.2574
17. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1995.
18. Tsuji, , Y., , Y. Morita, and K. Hirayama, "Photonic crystal waveguide based on 2-D photonic crystal with absolute photonic band gap," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 22, 2410-2412, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.885295
19. Tsuji, Y., Y. Morita, and K. Hirayama, "Proposal for a compact resonant-coupling-type polarization splitter based on photonic crystal waveguide with absolute photonic bandgap," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 22, 93-95, 2008.