This paper presents two simple analytical models of the switched reluctance motor. The first model is constructed on two flux linkage-current characteristics, the aligned position one calculated via finite element analysis (FEA), and the unaligned position characteristic calculated by using motor geometry data. The second model is based on three flux linkage-current characteristics, the aligned, unaligned and average one, obtained by employing the FEA. In both cases the direct and inverse models are defined. The models consider the core nonlinearity and the influence of the rotor position on the motor behavior. The estimated magnetizing and torque characteristics are compared with that calculated via two dimensions FEA for a switched reluctance motor (SRM) sample and with the test bench obtained ones. The merits and the drawbacks of the models are evinced.
1. Krishnan, R., "Switched Reluctance Motors Drives," CRC Press, 2001.
2. Henneberger, G. and I. A. Viorel, Variable Reluctance Electrical Machines, Shaker Verlag, Aachen, Germany, 2001.
3. Stankovic, A. M. , G. Tadmor, Z. J. Coric, and I. Agirman, "On torque ripple reduction in current-fed switched reluctance motors," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, Vol. 46, No. 1, 177-183, Feb. 1999. doi:10.1109/41.744409
4. Radun, A. V., "Analytically computing the flux linked by a switched reluctance motor phase when the stator and rotor poles overlap," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 36, No. 2, 1996-2003, 2000. doi:10.1109/20.875277
5. Radun, A. V., "Analytical calculation of the switched reluctance motor's unaligned inductance," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics,, Vol. 35, No. 6, 4473-4481, 1999. doi:10.1109/20.809140
6. Hossain, S. A. and I. Husain, "A geometry based simplified analytical model of switched reluctance machines for real-time controller implementation," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 18, No. 6, 1384-1389, 2003. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2003.818870
7. Khalil, A. and I. Husain, "A fourier series generalized geometry based analytical model of switched reluctance machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 43, No. 3, 673-684, Apr./May 2007. doi:10.1109/TIA.2007.895737
8. Kokernak, J. M. and D. A. Torrey, "Magnetic circuit model for mutually coupled switched reluctance machine," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 36, No. 2, 500-507, 2000. doi:10.1109/20.825824
9. Preston, M. A. and J. P. Lyons, "A switched reluctance motor model with mutual coupling and multi-phase excitation," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 27, No. 6, 5423-5425, 2001. doi:10.1109/20.278859
10. Soares, F. and P. J. Costa, "Simulation of a 6/4 switched reluctance motor based on Matlab/Simulink environment," IEEE Trans. Aero. Electron., Vol. 37, No. 3, 589-609, May 2001.
11. Belfore, L. A. and A. A. Arkadan, "Modeling faulted switched reluctance motors using evolutionary neural networks," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, Vol. 44, No. 2, 226-233, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1109/41.564161
12. Lin, Z. Y. , D. S. Reay, and B. W. Williams, "Online modeling for switched reluctance motors using B-Spline neural networks," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 6, 3317-3321, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1109/TIE.2007.904009
13. Ding, W. and D. L. Liang, "Modeling of a 6/4 switched reluctance motor using adaptive neural fuzzy inference system," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 7, 1796-1804, Jul. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.919711
14. Lachman, T., T. R. Mohamad, and C. H. Fong, "Nonlinear modeling of switched reluctance motors using artificial intelligence technique," IEE Procs. --- Elec. Power. Appl., Vol. 151, No. 1, 53-60, Jan. 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-epa:20040025
15. Edrington, C. S., B. Fahimi, and M. Krishnamurthy, "An auto-calibrating inductance model for switched reluctance motor drive," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 4, 2165-2173, Jul. 2007. doi:10.1109/TIE.2007.895118
16. Vujicic, V. P., "Modeling of a switched reluctance machine based on the invertible torque function," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 9, 2186-2194, Sep. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.2000663
17. Parreira, B., S. Rafael, A. J. Pires, and P. J. Costa Branco, "Obtaining the magnetic characteristics of an 8/6 switched reluctance machine: From FEM analysis to the experimental tests," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1635-1643, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TIE.2005.858709
18. Zhou, H. J., W. Ding, and Z. M. Yu, "A nonlinear model for the switched reluctance motor," Proceedings of ICEMS 2005, Nanjing, China, Oct. 27-29, 2005.
19. Roux, C. and M. M. Morcos, "A simple model for switched reluctance motors," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 36, No. 3, 400-405, 2005.
20. Andrade, D. A. and R. Krishnan, "Characterization of switched reluctance machine using Fourier series approach," Proc. of 36th IEEE Ind. Appl. Annual Meeting, Vol. 1, 48-54, Sep. 2001.
21. Hue, X. D., K. W. E. Cheng, and S. L. Ho, "Trigonometry-based numerical method to compute nonlinear magnetic characteristics in switched reluctance motors," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 4, 1845-1848, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2007.892619
22. Chi, H.-P., R.-L. Lin, and J.-F. Chen, "Simplified flux-linkage model for switched-reluctance motors," IEE Procs. --- Elec. Power. Appl., Vol. 152, No. 3, 577-583, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-epa:20045207
23. Xia, C. L., M. Xue, and T. N. Shi, "A new rapid nonlinear simulation method for switched reluctance motors," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 24, No. 3, 578-586, 2009. doi:10.1109/TEC.2009.2016131
24. Viorel, I. A., L. Strete, and I. F. Soran, "Analytical flux linkage model of switched reluctance motor," Revue Roum. de Science et Technique, Electrotech. et Energetique, Vol. 54, No. 2, 139-146, 2009.
25. Somesan, L., E. Padurariu, I.-A. Viorel, C. Martis, and O. Cornea, "Simple analytical models of the switched reluctance motors, case study," Proceedings of ICEM 2010, 1-6, Rome, Italy, 2010.
26. Cornea, O., "Control strategies for a SRM drive,", Ph.D. Thesis, Politehnica University of Timisoara, 2007 (in Romanian).
27. Chapra, S. C. and R. P. Canale, Numerical Methods for Engineers, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Company, 1998.
28. Chang, J. H., D. H. Kang, I.-A. Viorel, and L. Strete, "Transverse flux reluctance linear motor (TFRLM) analytical model based on finite element method (FEM)," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 4, 1201-1204, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.890957